+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3wt 7'6" What reel

Hybrid View

Default 3wt 7'6" What reel

I need to get a reel for my 3wt 7'6" What size and brand reel should I get for this rod. I will be using the rod for small streams (very small). Were would you recommend buying the reel that you will be recommending.

I like the Orvis Battenkill Barstock Size II on my 7'6" 3 wt. I've got some extra spools and have 5 wt line on it as well and use this reel frame for the several 5 wt rods I use. It's a nice light reel, priced just under a hundred bucks. If you want to go cheeper you have other options but you won't be dissappointed with the BBS II.
    Joe Bertolini

Blog Entries

This is the reel that i use with my 7' 6" 3wt http://www.dorber.com/flyreels.html
    The company is a sponsor here at FAOL.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Ross

mine is a Ross Rhythm size 1. not cheap, but very durable. i drop stuff a lot and in a small stream that means onto rocks and into sand and guck. the Ross makes it very easy to remove the spool, rinse out the schtuff, put it back together, and keep fishing.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I have Abel, Ross, Tica, Tioga, Orvis and Lamson, all for my "shorty light weights".
    They all, work great on the rods they're on so I can't recommend to anyone "which one to buy", really
    So, basically, it doesn't make much difference, except to purchase a reel that "feels right" on the rod, (take the rod, with you, if possible when shopping and put the reel on it), takes whatever backing and fly line capacity you may want and of course........fits into your budget for what you wish to spend.
    It's hard to beat a Tioga, for the price, made here in the USA (IF that matters to you), and they're built like tanks. Abel's are expensive, as reels go. Ross is an excellent product. Orvis backs their brand very well and Tica is a very under rated reel, for the money, but I've never had any hassles with mine. The Lamson "Radius" is a very good, small rod reel.
    It just depends more or less, what's in your budget!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    I like the Orvis Battenkill Barstock Size II on my 7'6" 3 wt. I've got some extra spools and have 5 wt line on it as well and use this reel frame for the several 5 wt rods I use. It's a nice light reel, priced just under a hundred bucks. If you want to go cheeper you have other options but you won't be dissappointed with the BBS II.
    I have a BBS II on my 7'6" TFO 3 wt. Great combination . . .

-wayne

RAMBO -

Flybinder pretty much nailed it. It is a matter of price point, more than anything else for most of us. My favorite reel for my 7'6" 3 wt is an Abel TR1 and my next favorite is an Orvis BBSII. The Abel costs about 3X what a BBSII costs, both for the reel and extra spools.

John

P.S. I do have an Orvis BBSII that I would consider selling to someone who will fish it on small streams and really appreciate the experience and the fish. If you qualify and are interested, send me a PM.
    The fish are always right.

Rambo,

I've been fishing an H&H 3 wt that I built over the winter and have an Orvis Clearwater II on it and it fishes just fine...the reel set me back a grand total of $39.00 and performs great on the small streams. I also use a Lamson Radius 1.5

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

I use a Crystal River cr0001a. Small reel (2.5"), holds a dt3 and about 20yds of backing weighs 2.7oz ..cost $13.
    Last edited by Janus; 06-19-2008 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    I have a BBS II on my 7'6" TFO 3 wt. Great combination . . .

-wayne
    same here, love it.

+ Reply to Thread