+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saint Marys River NS?

Default Saint Marys River NS?

Could anyone tell me a bit about the Saint Marys river in Shearbrooke, NS? It was suggested to me in my last post and I'd like to fish it sometime this month. What pools are productive this time of year? and a general idea of what flies to use.

Thanks, Logan

Hi Logan,

I mentioned the St. Mary's. It's been about 20-25 years since I've fished it though. Hairwing salmon flies, like a Blue Charm and Cosseboom were popular. Also a large Royal Coachman Streamer, and a Silver Doctor used to be considered must have flies. The "RAT" flies were popular too, with the Rusty Rat being the most popular as I recall.

I would suggest getting, or better yet, tying yourself a bunch of hairwing streamers.
    Blue Charm:

Orange Charm: (tail left off by accident)

Cosseboom:

Highlander: (I don't recall this being used, but it is such a famous pattern that I would think it worth a go)

- Jeff

Here's a Rusty Rat:

This one is called a LadyCaroline, and is a pattern I found in Art Flick's "Masters of Flying Tying" from the 70's. Think "oversized march brown" type of pattern (which, by the way, used to be used for salmon, so if you tie, go for it).

Here are some of my own patterns, which I've not tried for salmon, but use in smaller sizes for trout:
    Hammlim Minnow:

Vanessa:

- Jeff

Finally, you could try upsizing a few NZ matuka style flies, which to me look like they might do well for salmon:

Here's an example of a Jack's Sprat:

The "key" is lashing the feather along the top of the hook shank to help prevent the wing getting caught in the bend. A really popular version is a Parson's Glory, which is like the above but has a yellow body and light ginger feathers for wings and hackle. You can make all sorts of great fish catches just changing these around.

Anyway, the first few were patterns that were popular, and probably still are. The latter are ones that, if you tie, would be worth giving a try if things are going slow and a change pattern is what is needed?

Good luck. I'm really keen to hear how you do! Oh yah, Silver's Pool was always my favorite!

Hmmm, I'll e-mail my Dad to see if the fish are running yet!

- Jeff

Hi Logan,

Just got a reply from my Dad! The runs should be starting about now, and more fish enter the river after each rain. So, if you get a good rain a day or two before your trip, things should be sweet! He's not spoken to anyone near Shearbrooke this year, but this is the right time to be thinking about it!

- Jeff

Wow Jeff!! It looks like most of my research is done. Thanks for all of the help. I do fish salmon on a lot of my local rivers using all of the flies that you mentioned. I tied a selection of each of those flies this winter, as I use them on a regular basis. I'm glad to see that all the patterns you named were common, and there were no unusual producers there this year.

Yah, all the standard patterns should do you well. Some people even use big Mickie Finns too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hear how it goes, even if nothing much happens. Would love to see some photos of the river if you get a chance. It's been years since I've been there.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread