+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFF Certified Casting Instructors

Hybrid View

Default FFF Certified Casting Instructors

My son has signed up to take the casting instructor exam. Any advice that I can forward to him? Lessons learned? Coulda, shoulda, woulda type of advice would be appreciated. Also any specific material you used to help prepare you for the exam?

He's quite a good caster but I'm looking to get him whatever advice he can use to help him with the exam.

Thanks.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

I have not taken the casting exam so I won't be able to answer the major part of your question.

I'm assuming that your son may have already found this web site but just in case he hasn't: http://www.virtualflycasting.com/

This is the exam broken down in small video clips.
    http://www.virtualflycasting.com/certexam.htm

I could not get it to work with my Firefox browser so if you use that, you will need to look at these in Internet Explorer. The only thing about these videos that drive me a little nuts is that it is strictly video does not come with an audio component. It would be really nice to not only see the cast but to hear an explanation of how to correct the faults.

NEVER MIND!! I didn't have my speakers on!!

P.S. The site was working this morning but it seemed to be having some technical difficulties later in the morning. Don't give up on it if it's not working right now.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 06-17-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I have worked with several folks to prepare for the exam and the best advice I can pass along is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! If he thinks he's ready, practice more! It is not so much about being a good caster, it is about being a good teacher of casting.

Has your son worked with another certified instructor to prepare for the exam?

When and where is he taking the exam?

I have a friend here that is a Certified FFF Casting Instructor.
    Here are some things he has passed on to me.
    Always look professional. You will be watched from the moment you pull in the parking lot. (returning to your vehicle because you forgot something can hurt.)
    Whatever the distance requirements are practice casting farther. (If you are required to cast 80' it will be easy if you practice casting 90')

Thanks to all that have replied via the bbs and via pm. Some great information has been passed along to my son.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

I am in the process of preparing for the exam - and I am working with a master casting instructor.

As mentioned, it is not so much about being a perfect caster as about being able to understand how to explain and teach the casts -- and being able to diagnose and correct what the problems are. The instructor I have been working with will do something with the cast and then make me explain what I am seeing and why it is happening.

The advise given to me was to read a lot of the suggested material and watch the recommended videos to get a thorough understanding of the mechanics; practice the required casts; and be able to teach the information required.

Mel Krieger has an excellend video out on casting faults and fixes and every time I watch it I see something I didn't pick up on before -- especially after working with the insutructor.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 06-19-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Default Practise

The casting is the easy part. Its the explanations that most find difficult.
    It is not a casting examination - so dont fall into that trap. It is a teaching qualification, so learn to explain each aspect of the cast in clear, concise wording. Less is more - dont use 20 words when 10 will do.

Have a good understanding of the fundamentals of fly casting. Bill Gammels 5 essentials should be learnt, understood and played with to see what effect they have on your casting.
    This is important for when sitting the written.

Best of luck - its a learning experience!

+ Reply to Thread