The other night while tying up 4 dozen flies for the local fly shop I had the TV on and was watching an In Fisherman program. They were fly fishing in, I believe Alberta, Canada. They were catching some very nice fish. As I was tying and watching I noticed that the fly fisherman, I do not remember his name, had the fly line coming off the top of his fly reel instead of the bottom. When he would wind the line in, while fighting the fish, he would wind the reel backward since the line was coming off the top of the reel. I am not looking for a discussion on which way is right or wrong, but, is there anyone else out there that has their fly line coming off the top of the reel instead of the bottom? I have mine coming off the bottom and turn the reel handle forward to retrieve line. With line coming off the top of the reel, it would put the line in line with the stripping guide instead of coming up and then through the guide. This has been on my mind ever since seeing the show and now I want to know what you all are thinking about this. Did anyone else notice this, if you saw the show, or does anyone else know of someone that spools their fly line off the top of the reel? What do you all think about it? The pros and cons?