My other post got me thinking of another question I had. I was looking for some rockies the other day and this big female smallie followed my bugger, then left it, wouldnn't strike at all. I didn't slow down my retrieve or stop, since they aren't in season yet. But from past experiences, they usually hammer things, not chase them and decide thier not hungry.

So anyways, this pool I was fishing is right at a bend in the river. With a shelf on the far side. But there are two speeds of water right now at this bend. About 8 feet out, from the inside of the bend it quicker moving water, and about 6 feet out from there it's slower. So as you know, keeping tight line or control on a fly isn't easy. I pretty much just let the current decide the speed of retrieval. I tried to lift the rod tip up, but the weight of the line just brought the fly in as well. Any techniques for this? Mending doesn't work either, I tried that first. I've come to understand without weight near the fly, there's no way to keep the line tight, or slowing down the fly. The current controls it. Is this correct?

Thanks a bunch!
Shane