+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jersey Blues

Hybrid View

Smile Jersey Blues

Some friends and I were out on a charter Saturday out of Barnegate. I was the only one fly fishing (they all thought I was crazy). They kept telling me "your rod is going to snap like a twig". I am happy to say I caught 14 blues in the 15 - 20 pound range and at times my 9-10 weight was bent completely in half but came through with flying colors.
    I bought this rod from a guy on FAOL who goes by the handle Smernsky. I know his first name is Ed but can't recall his last name. Anyway, the rod is well worth what I paid for it, I haven't had that much fun fishing in a long time.

Congrats.....15 to 20 lb blues are pretty crazy fish. I haven't hooked one that big on a fly yet up here on Long Island....don't know if I want to either....I'm having enough work with 10 lb stripers. Good for you.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Wow, you guys are really lucky with the size that Blues get to over there. We get exactly the same species here which we call an elf (in the Cape) and a shad(in Natal) and the average size probably runs around 3 lbs. I think the South African record is around 11lbs.

Whatever, they are fantastic fun on a fly rod. Best place to get them here is in estuaries on a pushing tide and we use 5/6wt rods.

RAB

How were you able to cast with all the other people on the charter boat? Had to be interesting, to say the least.

JKilroy, 6 of us chartered the boat. No casting necessary, I put a deciever on a piece of steel leader with intermediate fly line. Let the current take all of the line out, used varying strip and twitch retrieve waited for the hits and then the fun began.

No casting at all, sweet! I may try that when the Mens group goes out with church next time. 8, 9 or 10 wt?

How far for the boat were they hitting?

+ Reply to Thread