+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Fork of the Tongue River

Default North Fork of the Tongue River

Anyone have first hand fishing knowledge? Or where we can get some detailed fishing maps of the area? Will be there in early September, and would appreciate a heads up! Thank you!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I'm not sure where the "north" fork of the Tongue is but I have fished the Tongue river west of Sheridan a few times. Access is easy via several pull offs right along the hiway near Burgess Jct. The Tongue there is a small, meandering, brushy stream with lots of cut banks with a riffle/pool configuration. Fish size is up to the mid teens. I've only caught Cutts from it and they are gorgeous.

If the "north" fork runs into Mt near the Tongue river reservoir I driven along it. I didn't see any place I would consider fishing.

Thanks Jerry! It is exactly the section fairly close to Burgess Junction that Cary asked me to ask about. Sounds like it'll be fun!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Cool Bob Krumm

Bob, a long-time Sponsor here does guide on the Tongue. An email to him should get the info you need. Check Blue Quill Outfitters on the Sponsor Page. *S*

Betty, your signature would certainly hold true of the Tongue river valley near Burgess. Not an ugly place by any means.
    There is an indian medicine wheel up the road from Burgess which is worth the hike from the parking lot to see.
    The first time I fished there was also the first time I fished a new to me Orvis Far and Fine. Orvis must have had the Tongue river in mind when they designed the rod....it was perfect.

The stream that Jerry mentions is the North Tongue. Rt 14 A runs along it with easy fishing access. Be careful late in the day up there as the "Critters" visit for a drink in sizabe numbers then. Also stay off the trails through the tall Willows. They belong to the moose.
    In September, even early, you can get some bad weather up there, so try to make it on a clear day.
    The high mountain plateau cutts are delightful. Perfect little stream for a 2 or 3 wt. The fish are not too fussy. Try some Adams, PMDs, BWO, Black and Tan Caddis. Just use drys.

You can get a 1 day or longer fishing license at Bear Lodge just east of the fishing area on RT 14A. Bear Lodge also has some great breakfasts. Never stayed at their lodging or had dinner.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Max; 06-14-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Talking

SSOOO,, HRH BETTY, your coming to Wyoming, finally, to catch some TROUT.

About what days in early Sept. will you be here????
    Wyo-Blizzard

We stayed one night at Bear Lodge. It seems there was a wedding party there that night as well. Because of a mix up in room assignments someone in the wedding party had a key to our room. Some time after 1 AM I was awoken when our door opened. I yelled "hey". The intruder yelled "what do you mean - Hey?" I replied "I mean I've got a gun in here" (I did not)...He left, I went down stairs and raised hell.
    The next morning they gave us our breakfast for free. A small penance for the horror Nancy felt.
    We'll probably never stay there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Be careful late in the day up there as the "Critters" visit for a drink in sizabe numbers then. Also stay off the trails through the tall Willows. They belong to the moose.

Enjoy
    "Critters"?? Critters, as in WHAT!!!!! Bears? Skunks? Lions? Tigers? Give me a clue, please!!

Think this will be fun trip!

Betty -

I've heard of the Tongue River, but haven't paid any attention to it. Your inquiry caused me to do a bit of research on it. Thought I would mention that the write up on the Angler Guide site on the South Tongue is mouth watering ( what else ???? ).

If you have enough time, you might want to give it a try. Take a look at http://www.anglerguide.com/wyoming/index.cfm?TR_ID=2310.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread