+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poppers

Hybrid View

Default Poppers

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of different poppers on #2 hook. I only have a 8'-6" mod/fast 5wt rod with 5wf line at the moment and was wonder, with the right leader, would it be ok to use a 5wt rod or do I need a heavier rod/line ??

Thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

nighthawk Guest

Mike,
    It should work fine. I use a 5wt rocket taper for big bass bugs and poppers all the time. A shorter leader will help turn the popper over easier if you feel that needs to be done. If needs be you could over line the rod to a 6wt but you should be fine with the length and 5wt.

Kwel!

gonna try'em out this weekend ... hopefully the winds around here will die down a bit. Still not really good enough yet to cast with strong winds, but still practicing on that.

thx's

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

nighthawk Guest

Bump, because I think mike should be given an opinion or two that is not mine.
    Come on folks, give the guy some advice please.

I've done it with #4 on a 5wt. Short 6-8lb mono (6ft) untapered leaders worked well for me. I think you'll be fine just watch what the fly does over your shoulder and adjust on the foward cast. You can even try a 1x tapered leader.

Thanks for the tip. Gonna give it a whirl this weekend, or at least try

Did you use a tippet with that mono leader setup ?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    I've done it with #4 on a 5wt. Short 6-8lb mono (6ft) untapered leaders worked well for me. I think you'll be fine just watch what the fly does over your shoulder and adjust on the forward cast. You can even try a 1x tapered leader.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    I've done it with #4 on a 5wt. Short 6-8lb mono (6ft) untapered leaders worked well for me. I think you'll be fine just watch what the fly does over your shoulder and adjust on the foward cast. You can even try a 1x tapered leader.
    Agreed. Hey, Mike, let us know how you did.

Good Luck and Happy Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread