+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly line size "Help"

Hybrid View

Default Fly line size "Help"

I bought my first fly rod last year as a combo and just bought another. I let the pro shop put my old rod together and didnt ask what size line they put on my #5 rod reel.
    This may sound dumb but Im going to ask.

I bought a TFO #3 7' 6" rod.
    The question is: If I bought a #3 rod is there a #3 fly line that I need to put on this reel? What about leader? And tippet size, Does it also matter?

Thanks

Rambo
    Yes, if it is marked #3 use a #3 although you can try a 2 (called underlining) or go up to a #4 (called overlining) but trust the rod designer that it's a #3.
    Having said that, have you been here? Sounds like this is a good place to start. Don't be afraid to ask; we are all learners.
    Mark
    ps BTW where are you located. If you fill out your profile with a little more detail, there is probably someone near you to help you. This is a NATIONAL board.
    Last edited by mcsteff; 06-10-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: adding material

mcsteff. No. I have not been there. Thank you again.

Blog Entries

Smile

Rambo,

As Mark said, start with a 3 weight floating line.

Your next question should be: Weight forward or double taper?

You have a 3 wt rod that is 7 ft 6 inches, not a rod for casting long distances. I assume you got this rod for fishing in small streams or going after 'Giggle Fish' Bluegills and such.

If you are going after trout in a medium to small stream then a double taper would be a great choice. It allows for soft presentations of the fly, something you need in when fishing small pocket water.

If you are going to be casting Crappie Candy type flies, then maybe a weight forward would be your best bet to help cast the weight of the fly.

As for the leader, a 7.5 foot leader would be good for the trout, adjust the size, 6X or 5X or 4X according to the size of the fly. If you are using it for Bluegills and such then a slightly stiffer leader, like a 3X or even a straight 4 or 5 foot piece of 5 or 6 pound Maxima is all you need.

What type of fishing are you going to be doing with that rod?

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

With the 3wt. I will be doing small streams.

Thanks
    Rambo

Rambo, welcome to the BB. These guys will really try to help you with ANY question you may come up with. Don't be afraid to ask anything about fly fishing; there are no dumb questions.

Rambo

I have that exact rod in the Finesse series. For small trout streams I use a DT 3#. Works great.

welcome Rambo. you've definitely come to the right place.

I just go into fly fishing myself. Picked up a 5wt for panfish & smallies last fall. I'd say about 90% what I've learned comes from this site and the very helpful people here. Remember there's no such thing as a "dumb" question Once you get the basics down, your hooked ... BIG TIME!! I've since picked up a second 5/wt spare reel, a 8wt outfit for the bigger ones. It is addictive art believe me.

One thing I tell ya, as a beginner, is practice your basic casting techniques. Once you get that down, the skies the limit.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

+ Reply to Thread