+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Commercial

Default Cell Phone Commercial

Did any of you see the commercial for some cell phone friends and family minutes plan that featured a family with a really stupid hibilly accent and paroding the Hatfield & Mccoy feud?

I was so angry by the end of it I didn't catch which company it was that had the poor taste to do it so now I can't even share my opinion with them.

If any of you saw it and know what company it was can you let me know. Private message would be OK if you didn't want to add here.

As a male from Kentucky (I'd like to think of myself as a Southern Gentleman) it never ceases to amaze me how freely companies can make fun of hillbillies and keep sterotypes of us alive. Yes, I am a hillbilly and I'm very proud of it. My family has been in Kentucky since the 1790's and our area of the world has a very rich heritage and culture.

They would not have a negative sterotype of an Aferican American family in their advertisement (or Hispanic, Asian, Arab American, or any other group) so why is it OK to do that with people from the South?

OK, rant off. If anyone saw that and wants to let me know who the company was, I'd like to know.

Jeff

If i was you i would either get a sense of humor or grow a thicker skin.

I'm down with making fun of hillbillies.

sounds like the Geico Caveman Deal to me!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Jeff,
    I'm a short, overweight, Irish Catholic & I LOVE getting fun poked at me!...I'd BETTER, it sure happens enough!! It won't happen unless 1) you're liked/admired & 2) folks know you can take it. Admittedly, I "sometimes" dish abuse out , but bottom line is that the poking fun at "hillbillies" is actually throwing out a compliment to them for their good humor & friendly nature. Try to look at it in a positive way. NOT being "teased" is, imho, NOT a good thing.

BTW, I haven't yet seen the commercial to which you refer.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Question How many GOOD things are in KY

OK, Jeff Start listing' NO? OK I will
    Blue Grass
    Horses that know how to really run their a#$ off
    Good fishing
    Great hunting
    Best fishing
    Bourbon ( the good stuff)
    Great fishing
    Wonderful scenery
    ect...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Quote Originally Posted by ohiofly View Post
    OK, Jeff Start listing' NO? OK I will
    Blue Grass
    Horses that know how to really run their a#$ off
    Good fishing
    Great hunting
    Best fishing
    Bourbon ( the good stuff)
    Great fishing
    Wonderful scenery
    ect...
    You really missed it man. You forgot the beautiful women.

Most of my relatives live in the south. I was born and raised in Wisconsin. When I go to the family reunions, I'm "that damn yankee" I'm also the guy that talks funny

Last point is that it is cool to proud of your heritage. You would make Momma smile, probably Daddy too.

Hey Jeff,

Don't worry too much about it, because it probably won't be around very long. Some loser will take offense, get an out-of-work, low-life, bottom-feeding, skum-sucking, last-in-his/her-class lawyer to represent them in a class action suit on behalf of all the other losers who are suffering emotional distress and are no longer able to procreate or have normal conjugal relations with their close relatives , at which time and the wimpy corporate types will bend to the wishes the toothless third grade educated loser and pull the commercial, publish a public apology, pay the $65 in attorney's fees (did I mention the lawer was lousy at math?) and send $4 million to the children's relief fund of Appalachia for counseling to relieve the mental anguish suffered from the commercial that was meant to be funny, not serious.

Joe

P.S. I hope I didn't offend anyone during my response....

SPECIAL NOTICE:

THE ABOVE STATEMENT(S) WERE MADE IN A FEEBLE ATTEMPT TO BE FUNNY, AND WERE ON NO WAY MEANT TO OFFEND ANY PERSON, STATE, ETHNIC, REGIONAL, COHABITATIVE OR RELIGIOUS GROUP, OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT GATHERS TOGETHER FOR NO APPARENT REASON OTHER THAN TO GATHER TOGETHER, AND ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY, FIGURATIVELY OR LITERALLY OR ANY OTHER LY. PERSONAL INTERPRETATION OF THE ABOVE REMARKS SHOULD NOT BE MADE WITH A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL HUMOR COACH IN YOUR PRESENCE, AND THE AUTHOR WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PHYSICAL, MENTAL OR SEXUAL ANGUISH SUFFERED BY THOSE TOO STOOPID TO REALIZE THAT THIS IS HUMOR, AND NOT REALITY. GO BACK AND FINISH SIXTH GRADE. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO TAKE THIS STUFF SERIOUSLY... JUST ASK THE SHORT, FAT, IRISH DORK FROM CANTON, OHIO IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    You really missed it man. You forgot the beautiful women.

Most of my relatives live in the south. I was born and raised in Wisconsin. When I go to the family reunions, I'm "that damn yankee" I'm also the guy that talks funny

Last point is that it is cool to proud of your heritage. You would make Momma smile, probably Daddy too.

I thought that it was fast women...? I thought that Kentucky was the land of fast women and beautiful horses...

Clay, do you really have one of them there ax-cents? We don't have 'em down here... But ev'body sure does.

Ed

Default from the book of the Diftless...

Reminds me of when I said on this board that Alaska was the land of depression and alcoholism.
    An Alaskan was seriously offended!
    Being from ND, probably the most joked about state in the nation, I probably didn't have the
    intellect needed to understand his indignation.
    nam

+ Reply to Thread