Thread: Rich Uncle or a Monkeys Uncle?

Threaded View

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Question Rich Uncle or a Monkeys Uncle?

B^)

At what point do some guys start believing that their time on the water should be subsidized by their fishing companions?
    How much bologna have you put up with, or been pitched by other anglers?

Have you traveled with the type of guys that always seem to have a bladder control problem when you pull up at the pump. Vowing they'll get the next tank, but never seem too?

Are you the one that always plans the fishing excursions and does all of the research and leg work for your partner(s)?
    Is that because you're all knowing or have the inside track?
    Or is it because, if you didn't take the reins, that horse would never leave the stable?

Have you ever taken a week long trip with someone who proclaimed that they've been tying flies for fifteen years. Yet when you arrive at your destination and you get a glimpse at their "fly box", singular. They have all of two flies to show for each of the fifteen years they've been tying. None of which are remotely useful for that piece of water.
    Ah' but you're a good Joe and you've got a few to spare........on every trip.

Maybe it's this New Math that I heard so much about some years back, but when did half of a thirty two dollar tab become six bucks and a brisk walk to the restroom?

Have you ever traveled with a guy who in three years of trips, never once offered you or anyone else, so much as a can of soda?

You've been at the wheel for the past three hours, everyone in the vehicle knows there is a toll bridge coming up. At the last moment, the voices in the vehicle fall suddenly silent and you find yourself wrestling with both your seat belt and hip pocket to come up with a buck for the toll taker. All the time, the guy next to you gazes out his side window at the water.
    Or even better, as you approach the toll booth, four grown men all go grabbing for their bill folds as if it's a race to see who can come up with a buck first. Yet somehow, it's the only guy in the car who happens to have his hands full at the moment ( the driver ) who happens to come up with money....
    Of course this exercise in deception is always followed with the words " Next time, let me get it. "

Have you ever pulled up in front of a new fishing acquaintances house to pick him up, to find his wife standing in the doorway, literally screaming at the top her lungs. That, if he goes off fishing, he better not try to come home. This while throwing his gear out onto the lawn?
    Talk about your quiet drives to the river.........

Why is it some guys simply can't bring themselves to say these words. " I can't go ".
    Instead, they'll jack you around for weeks about what day they can leave, which may or may not ever come.
    Or they'll wait ( I guess, fearing an altercation ) until the last possible moment to spring the trip on their spouse.

What about that week long trip you've planned, tied, equipped yourself and saved for all year.
    There you are on the morning of day one, you're rigging up and the other guys whips out his reel with what looks to be a dusky, heavily scuffed and frizzled remnant of what once might have been a leader.
    So you ask: What length and X value is that Joe?
    He replies: I don't know, it's whatever was on it the last time I was here ( four years ago ). Then he sheepishly looks your way and says: I don't think I've got another leader, what do you think I should use?

When you hit the road with other anglers, is it always in your vehicle or do you split up the wear and tear between your partners vehicles and yours?

When it comes time to book lodging or reserve a camp space, is it always you that makes the reservations, with your credit card?
    Do you get fully reimbursed for their portion of those expenses or merely some portion of their share?

How about a guy who can't swim at all, that has bought himself a top of line float tube, pontoon boat, fins, waders, etc, but always needs to borrow a life vest?

Do you know the type of guy who needs reminding in the beginning of the year to get his new fishing license? Who tells you, he has. Only to find out when you get to the water, that he did go out and buy a license, last year.

You've traveled on " your own coin " for years. In doing so you've finally accumulated sufficient airline miles and hotel points to warrant a " free" round trip and a weeks lodging.
    While making plans for a group fishing trip, it's pointedly suggested to you by another group member, that since you have comp's that you can use, you should split the cost of the other guys airfares and rooms.

Since I'm not rich, that leaves a Monkeys Uncle.

I'm told that expressing ones frustrations can be cathartic, so please feel free to add your own experiences to the list.

Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 06-08-2008 at 08:17 PM.