+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fiberglass fun

Hybrid View

Default Fiberglass fun

Went to my local go-to lake Friday, anxious to try my new (50's) Phillipson Royal.

Caught 1 of these.

Caught 3 of these.

Caught 14 of these.

Jim

nice, chunky bluegill. what's that fly in the bass' mouth?

Great Fish...what are your riding in?

dpenrod,,,,,that's a wooly bugger tied with nickel lead eyes, olive marabou tail and peacock estaz chenille. Lot's of sparkle in the water.

brhoff,,,,,,that's a 12' Lowe jon boat that I customed to allow me to sit in front with the trolling motor at my left hand. Just ran #8 wire up the gunnels and reversed the head on the motor.

Hey, Jim, did you reply to the thread that asked whether we played our fish on or off the reel?

Couldn't resist...those coils look like mine

Thumbs up

Looks like some really good fishing in your local area, I've been playing with a few of my glass rods of late also..tonight I took the eldest daughter to a pond up the road for her first foray into the fly fishing world..
    we both used glass...and I am not much of a teacher it appears...Guess I gotta get her a setup and just let her work things out..If she still wants to...Think I'll try and get her more into the rigging how to's and such and work from there...
    Never seen a fly reel back lashed before today! spent a good half hour tearing down my favorite reel and working tangles out of the line, Before the ride for home.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

ducksterman.......didn't see the thread, but I strip in everything. What did Bill Booker tell Tim Linehan on the Kennebago Lake...."don't lose a fish at the expense of getting the line on the reel....?" Tried it once with a nice LMB just to see how it felt; felt lousy when he took a dive in heavy grass and broke off 3x tippett. I fish for fun and to catch fish, ain't no cameras on me.....

billknepp......keep at it, you've got an irreplacable fishing partner there. Remember, only wave the flag. Fly rod is pick-up, up stroke, down stroke, presentation.

Tight lines and tons of fish, Jim

Jim...there's a nice handfull of panfish there!

Wayneb......it is a Phillipson Royal 7 1/2' Fiberglass for DT6 or WF7. I only have a WF7 at present and it throws very nicely. Got it off eBay and it is immaculate; other than slight cork soiling it looks brand new.

Casting fiberglass takes a little practice in relaxing your stroke and then it is sheer pleasure.

Nothing like like that beautiful "C" when a hearty fish takes your fly.

If you're interested in glass, go to fiberglassflyrodders.com. It's a whole new world.

In a few moments I'm headed out to try my new (old) Orvis Madison 7 1/2' bamboo for 6wt.

More later. Regards, Jim

Hi Jim;

I'm addicted to fiberglass fly rods! I'm a member at fiberglassflyrodders.

At present I'm watching ebay for a decent Phillipson, preferably 5/6wt. Missed out on a flyfox, my internet provider went down and my bid was below reserve.

My two favorite rods of late are 8' cortland pro-crest 6wt and Scientific anglers 6wt pack rod.

I purchased a Phillipson Deluxe D86 eponite recently and now understand why they are so desireable. The rod I purchased needs a little work,guides on tip section are bent but even so it casts like a dream!

Thanks;

Wayneb

Wayneb

+ Reply to Thread