+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calling all Gourmets

Hybrid View

Question Calling all Gourmets

How about giving up your favorite or secret Fish Recipe ?

Mine is just plain old "Pan Fried Trout"
    Bacon Fat
    Trout
    Onion
    Salt
    Pepper
    Cook all in cast iron skillet over camp fire.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Carp Stew

12 cans evaporated milk or cream, or 1 gal milk
    3 pounds carp meat, cubed or shredded
    2 cups chicken stock
    3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
    4 cans sweet corn, juice and all
    2 stalks celery
    1 large onion, cubed
    1 stick butter or margarine (aprox 1/4 cup)
    1 tbsp garlic powder, or 3 cubes fresh garlic
    2 tsp basil
    salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste

In a large (at least 2 gal.) stockpot, drain the juice from the corn into the pot and and heat to simmering. Add chicken stock. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Add water if needed. In a sauce pan, in about 2 pats of the butter, saute celery, onions, carp and garlic (if fresh), and saute until translucent, and the carp is flaky. Add to stockpot, along with the rest of the butter. Lower heat to med., and add the rest of the ingredients and heat until the milk is just starting to boil, stirring frequently.

Serve with cheese biscuits.

Default question on carp stew

how do you debone your carp? there's about a million pounds of carp within 10 miles of my house, I just dunno how to cook em.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Cool More carp

Carp are very good smoked! Their fat content keeps them tender and moist. If you know someone who has a smoker you might try bribing them, say keep half for yourself. Suckers are also good smoked. Yes, you do have to brine them overnight.

I absolutely love smoked carp. I bought a large Brinkman smoker just to use for carp (and other fish). I don't soak mine in brine, but the waters I fish in are incredibly clean. It makes brining unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Carp are very good smoked! Their fat content keeps them tender and moist. If you know someone who has a smoker you might try bribing them, say keep half for yourself. Suckers are also good smoked. Yes, you do have to brine them overnight.

Melt a stick of butter in a large fry pan. Add enough sherry to roughly double the liquid in the pan. Dice up a couple of green onions and mince garlic to taste ( a couple of cloves works for me) and saute them over moderate heat for a minute. Reduce heat and add perch or walleye fillets. Poach fish in sauce for about eight to ten minutes depending on thickness of fillets, turning once. Remove fish from pan and turn up heat. Reduce the sauce to the desired thickness and pour over fish. Serve with garlic bread and fresh tomatoes you picked while you were getting the onions. A ten inch fry pan full serves one if you like perch like I do.

Here are my instructions on how to handle a carp properly.

To de-bone a carp, there are 6 or 7 steps. It takes about 20 minutes. You only end up with about 25% of the fishes weight in meat, but off a 20 lb. carp, that's 5 pounds of meat at one time. That's a good yield in anyone's book.

1. Remove the fillets from the body of the carp as you would any other fish. Cut around the ribs, leaving them attached to the skeleton.

2. Lay the fillets skin side down on a cutting board and cut them in half lengthwise, cutting through the skin. Remove any fatty belly meat from the fillet. It has a strong flavor.

3. Skin the fillet halves by laying them skin side down on the cutting board and slicing the meat from the skin, starting at the tail section. An electric knife works especially well for this, but any sharp knife will do.

4. Remove and discard the dark red meat from the fillet halves.You now have delicious white meat, but there are still Y-shaped intramuscular bones hiding inside.

5. Cut the rib cage section off. It is now boneless so you can use it without further preparation.

6. The Y-bones lie lengthwise at an angle through the fillets. Slip the fillet knife in between the bones and cut strips that contain two or three bones, taking care to not cut any bones. It won't take long to understand exactly where the bones lie.

7. Now roll these fillets in cornmeal or your favorite breading and fry them as you would any fish. At the table, break the strip in half. The bones will stay in one half.You can eat the boneless half of the strip, then grab the Y-bones and pull them from the other half and eat it, too. It's a lot like eating hot wings, but not as messy.

If you want completely boneless meat, then:

1. Start with the top half of a fillet. Lay the fillet on your cutting board so that the outside of the fish is up.With your fingers, feel for a hard portion on the first inch of the fillet. There are a couple of unusual pine cone-shaped bones in the first inch or so of the top half of the fillet.These make bone removal from that section impossible. Starting behind this hard section, holding your knife parallel to the cutting board, cut a long strip of meat from the top of the fillet, exposing the Y-bones.This will result in a boneless piece of meat about as thick as a crappie filet, but about two inches wide and very long.

2. Using shallow cuts, free the meat from above and below the exposed Y-bones

3. Turn the fillet over.You will see a row of white dots that indicate where the point of the Y-branch of the bone nears the cut surface of the fillet.Make a cut parallel to and right above the row of dots. Cut down until the knife contacts the main shaft of the Y-bone. Cut and scrape sideways with the knife to remove a long, rope-like piece of boneless meat.

4. Repeat step 3,making your cut just below the row of dots and removing the remainder of the usable meat from the top half of the fillet.

5. Now de-bone the bottom half of a fillet. You have already de-boned the meat from the rib cage section when you left the ribs attached to the skeleton. Cut the ribcage section off and put it with your boneless meat. Now repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining portion of the bottom fillet. The bones lie very near the surface of the meat on the bottom half of the fillet, so there is no need to repeat steps 1 and 2.

6. Repeat above with the other side of the fish.

By all means, please experiment with the above techniques and enjoy! If you mess one or two up while learning, don't sweat it...it's just a carp. There are plenty of them. They need to be used.

When correctly prepared, carp have a unique flavor similar to mackerel (fresh, not canned), only much milder. The meat is flaky and slightly oily. It lends itself well to broiling, baking and frying. It makes an outstanding chowder and gumbo.

I never soak mine in brine, but if you want, it won't hurt anything. If I catch a carp from questionable water, I just keep them alive in the bathtub for 3 or 4 days, feed them corn and change the water twice a day. This lets them clean themselves out.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    how do you debone your carp? there's about a million pounds of carp within 10 miles of my house, I just dunno how to cook em.

+ Reply to Thread