+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WATCH YOUR GAS LEVEL THIS WEEKEND?

Funny how the oil companies and service station owners can jack up the price overnight on FUTURES prices and it's not called gouging but the guy selling plywood BEFORE the hurricane better not try the same thing.

Bring back the Windfall Profits Tax that was enacted by Jimmy Carter and repealed later under Reagan. This tax penalized oil companies for immediately jacking up the price of gas based on increases on oil still in the ground and months away from being refined.

I guarantee you that when 4th Quarter earning statements come out Exxon/Mobil and the rest they will have record earnings AGAIN! How does that work for them but the rest of our businesses will see decreased margins due to increased costs? All I know is if and when I do any business with any of them I am going to quadruple my normal margins.

average combined state and federal tax on gasoline is 42%, meaning that if you spend $3 on a gallon of gas, $1.26 is tax. If the government would give up this windfall they are getting due to increased gas prices, the prices could be lowered. funny no politician has mentioned this....
    D. Micus: you are so right about this! It?s time to start blasting them with letters & e-mails about this farce. There are price discrepancies in my area as much as $ .40 a gallon on the SAME brand at different stations less than a ? mile apart. I know one thing: they aren't paying the employees in the store with higher prices, higher wages AND they both get their deliveries from the same supplier.

Let?s see how fast the prices fall once they start getting the oil from the Strategic Reserve; I bet they don't budge. Funny how the immediacy of price movement based on oil future prices only works one way.

Hurricane or no hurricane this is crap!

Write, call, e-mail, or go visit your congress people, both senate and house, and RAISE HELL!! tell everyone you know or see to do the same. We already started it here.
    Make it clear if they want ot be reelected, they will do something about it

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard
    Wyo-Blizzard

I understand there is a national gas purchase boycott scheduled for today. I am participating by default since I filled up ( had to) yesterday. I agree with the above posts regarding gouging by individual gas station owners. They are playing the " futures" game with gas that is in their tanks. I am personally remembering those places and will act accordingly in the future (IF) when things settle down. As for now, I'm buying my fuel at COSTCO , at least from my immediate local experience, they are NOT gouging. I paid $2.85 there while the local independents are charging $3.30.The $42.00 membership fee at Costco has more than paid for itself since I joined.
    On the other hand , if you live in a small town with few options, just TELL the owners that you are watching their pricing during these times and your future business with them will depend on that. Gasoline at the refinery level is this minute $2.4285 up $0.1732 in the last trade. I am not aware if that is the delivered price to vendors.

Mark
    PS: Remember when if lost, you could ask a gas station attendant for directions? Try that nowadays.
    ------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 01 September 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 01 September 2005).]

Marco,
    Don't get me started on the 'directions' - I got lost in Bellevue (a VERY upscale town) while trying to get JC to the UW Hospital a year ago. I stopped at 2 name gas stations,
    neither could tell me how to get to the biggest Hospital in the state, in their town!

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 01 September 2005).]

"average combined state and federal tax on gasoline is 42%, meaning that if you spend $3 on a gallon of gas, $1.26 is tax. If the government would give up this windfall they are getting due to increased gas prices, the prices could be lowered. funny no politician has mentioned this."

DM this is NOT true! Both Federal and State gas taxes are setas cents per gallon. Here in Georgia the State tax is 7.5 cents per gallon regardless of the price. Therefore, there is no win fall to the states or federal government, unless a state also charges its sales tax to the price. And the sales tax would not be much. Do some research on the web and see for your self.

RoyC

I expect gas will hit 3 dollers a gallon at the lowest price gas stations by tomorrow here in Tucson, AZ. It is already running at 2.89 (early this morning) with the majority of your higher priced stations being already 3 or over.
    Sure want to stick it to fly fisherman (& everybody else) during Labor Day weekend !!!
    Even with some good flyfishing being 20 miles away on Mount Lemmon, it still hurts !!!!!

I came into work this morning and our gas prices were $2.79 in town. Went out to lunch and the gas price was $2.99. I came back from lunch one hour later and gas is now at $3.19 for 87 octane. Talk about screwing the American public!

Ron

Hey Folks,

That $3+ gas is looking better all of
    the time. South Carolina is running out.
    Not enough here to keep the emergency
    vehicles going I'm told. They expect the
    stations to be dry before the weekend is
    out. Two pipelines coming into SC. Both
    from La. One is MT and the other is at
    30% of norm. Carpooling and 4 day work
    weeks are being considered. Warm regards,
    Jim

Up here in Southern Ontario tonight I passed by 3 stations that were too embarrassed (I guess) to post any price. Their signs were blank. It's $1.34 a litre up here. I'd hate to have to go to one of these stations and find the unadvertised price was $1.50.

My son filled up his motorcycle (gotta borrow that thing soon)and he told me the man in front of him paid $158 dollars to fill his big S.U.V.
    At the current price it's going to cost me close to $80 to fill up my Subaru Forester, which fortunately gets decent gas mileage.
    In times like this the quote I use for my signature certainly has relevance.
    ------------------
    "...whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

[This message has been edited by speck (edited 02 September 2005).]

Watch the gas prices come down. They dropped over 50 cents a gallon yesterday in Minneapolis. It was down to $2.79 a gallon last night according to my sister who has lived there 45 years.

+ Reply to Thread