+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on bamboo rods & LFs article

Jim:

I'd be very careful about buying a low cost bamboo rod on ebay. If it is not being bid up, there is usuallly a reason. That isn't to say you couldn't pick up a usable rod, but you might very well be disappointed in how it feels in action because it turns out to be a not-too-spiffily tapered mass produced rod. (An old three piece 9 ft production rod for, say, DT6 line at minmum is very apt to feel like a cudgel compared to the lighter more modern graphite rods to may be familiar with.)

Jim, ditto what Colston said. When I first got interested in cane, and being on a budget, I bought a couple of real duds. It takes a lot of time to learn which brands and models are worth the money. There's a great column on "Blue Collar Cane" here on FAOL in the Bamboo section. Also search for "Clark's Bamboo Rod Forum" on Google and there's plenty of good info there.

That having been said, most of the info out there points toward high-end vintage rods or modern rod makers. There's no doubt that modern rods are far superior to their predecessors due to modern adhesives and refining of the tapers. But you will also read that Montagues, H-Is and the like are not worth anything. This is largely, but not at all completely true. Many high-volume production rod companies made tons of "passable" rods and a few models of most excellent grade rods. Fishbanjo's site has some great info on vintage rods and various qualities of them.

In the mid- to mid-upper range, Heddons, Grangers, certain South Bends and the like are most excellent rods that can be had for $300-400. Again, you have to know the right models to look for. Colston is right, if it's not being bid up, it's probably not a better model.

But a little research will help you make good choices. I have right now in the rack several cane rods, the best being a 9' Granger Victory, along with two Montagues, one South Bend, one unknown that was probably a better Monty or H-I and shoots a 7-wt rod like a cannon, and a 6' banty.

Hope this helps,
    R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:93249]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:93249]

Sorry to take so long to get back with you guys. Thanks for all the tips on buying a cane rod! I will do some more homework and try to decipher what are the good models to buy. Sounds like all of the major makes made at least a few good tapers, so it will just be a matter of determining which are the ones worth buying. Thanks for the help. I will be sure to post any other questions I come up with. Tight lines!

+ Reply to Thread