+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tensioner

Hybrid View

1. Default Tensioner

I've been building rods for 40 yrs. Started by using a book to tension thread. Then started using gravity. (Which gives absolutly constant tension and allows you to back up under tension.)
    Thought I'd try another approach so I bought a thread tensioner from Cabelas. Well I really feel stupid but I can't figure out how to use the durn thing. I see no way to attach it to anything, don't know if it should put tension on the thread oe the spool. Can anyone enlighten me?

I've always wondered why it's so hard to put into words, what you can see so clearly in you mind?!?

Here goes: With the tensioner to the left of center, the post in the center and the thread spool post on the right. Put the thread spool on the right post, with the thread coming off the top, towards the left. Bring the thread forward and around the center post, looping it to the right side of the tensioner, around the back of the tensioner, and down it's left side, straight forward towards you, to wrap around the rod blank. (Gawd ... that sounds convoluted!!) Adjust the tension so you get a smooth pull on the thread... not too tight, not too loose. Sure makes wrapping a breeze!

Wait a minute. I just re read your post ... the tensioner isn't attached to anything? Did you just get a replacement one? It should be attached to a board, that's attached to the table .... hmmmm
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 06-06-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

3. Default

There are a few different tensioners, but yours looks like the one that just pegs into a 3/16th hole you drill in your carrier.

Cracker;
    The thread tensioner that Cabella's and many others sell runs the thread a couple of ogee shaped washers with a conical compression spring to adjust the tension. I've used this type by drilling a 5/16 hole in my wrapping bench and pressing it in place. However, this type of tensioner likes to put "Fuzzies" in the thread and I've stopped using them. I wish I could find conical compression springs and make my own tensioners!!

5. Default tensioner

I should have known that Jack would come through for me!Thanks Jack and Betty and Spooner. I think I've got it figured out now!

I used the washers and spring from the Cabela's tensioner. The thread spool fits over a 5/16 bolt and a wing nut sets the tension.

Last edited by Jack Hise; 06-08-2008 at 03:28 AM.

7. Default tensioner

Looks good Jack, I'll try it. No question in my mind. The drag should be on the spool, not the thread. Thanks

If you use or make a tensioner like Jacks, replace the metal wing nut with a nylon one, close the hole a little bit by applying vise grips, this will prevent the wing nut from getting loose as thread is unround from the spool and results in even tension - Mike

+ Reply to Thread