The U.S.S Constitution (Old Ironsides) as a combat vessel carried 48,600 gallons of fresh (remember this number) water for her crew of 475 officers & men.

This was sufficient to last 6 months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (fresh water distillers).

Let it be noted that according to her log "On July 27, 1798 the U.S.S Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers & men, 48,600 gallons of water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum.

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on October 6th she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

The she headerd for the Azores, arriving there November 12th. She provisinoned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of portuguese wine.

On 18 November she set sail for England.

In the ensuing days she defeated 5 British Men of War and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant-men. Salvaging only the rum on board.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted.
Nevertheless and though unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland. Her landing party captured and whiskey distillery and transfered 40,000 galons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn.

She headed home

The U.S.S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799 with NO cannon shot left, NO food, No powder, NO rum, NO wine, NO whiskey and 38.600 gallons of stagnant water!!

Take that pirates!! Go Navy!!

------------------
I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"