+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #@$%&* emergers

Hybrid View

Default #@$%&* emergers

I have been off work for a while lately with a torn shoulder, but managing to have some blissful days high on painkiller and muscle relaxant pills and beside the fire tying flies. (If only life could stay like this, but I guess I am bound to get better sometime... )

Anyway, my stable of flies is nearly complete, except for damned emergers. I have a heap of Klinks and similar, but am particularly fond of Australian Possum Emergers. These are just tied with some possum tail and green wire with a wing loop of tail fur again. My problem is that I have been taught to always test flies in a test tank and look at them as the fish sees them. While I am no entomologist I am acutely aware of how an emerging dun struggles in the surface film to free itself from the shuck, stick its unfolding wings up in the air to dry our in the sun enough for it to fly off. Hence the tail is below the surface film and the rest is not, it is above the surface film.

Here's the problem - every stinking fly I put in the test tank (actually a fancy name for a whisky tumbler) SINKS! I know that floating flies do not sink!

I spent today trying to resolve this issue. I want the fly to sink its cute little bottom below the surface meniscus like a struggling nymph, have a "shuck" above the surface, and hopefully with a wing type arrangement of a few stray hairs or a bit of poly yarn sticking up like am unfolding wing, to enable me to see it clearly.

1. If I tie the fly with a "quick descent" aluminium dub abdomen and apply floatant to the head/wing area, it sinks after about 30 seconds.

2. If I tie some heavy wire to the abdo to get it to sink "bum down" it does so all the way top the bottom.

3. If I don't apply anything the whole fly just floats on its side for a while like a dead shrimp, then, you guessed it, it sinks.

4. If I tie in a piece of cork with the possum tail wing folded over it, it floats, but all of it just BELOW the surface. The weight of the hook and fur seems to pull the cork down unless you use such a large piece of cork it is ridiculous and looks like it should have a bottle and a message attached.

5. I have tried the same with foam and am finding that that too will absorb water and sink in a short period of time, although it does start off well. Again though, if it does float, it will not do so with its head out of the water.

6 Consequently I wondered if the foam was not actually "closed cell" and tried coating with varnish etc to waterproof it, but it doesn't make any difference. I tries a few different types of foam and paper wrap stuff.

7. I have not tried polystyrene balls yet (as in bean bags) as they are so "out of fashion" I would be lucky to find one even on a rubbish tip.

I have been through my tying supplies, kitchen cupboards and workshop to try to see if there is some sort of material I have missed, that will keep the "head" up above the meniscus and let the tail sink below but am now about stumped.

Anyone else have this problem or find a solution?

Gringo,

If the "bum" end of your fly (hook bend) sinks why not finish up with a two turn wrap of dry fly hackle just behind the eye? Just put floatant on the two hackle wraps. The bum would still sink but the front would float...perfect!

Depending on the fly size, you'll need to find some appropriately sized hackle.

Or, if the fly is large enough, maybe some CDC behind the eye?

Jeremy.

Blog Entries

Smile

My only suggestion would be to go to a lighter hook, apply very thin dubbing and stay with the possum wrapped foam wing.

I don't know what size hook you are using but if it is really small then the grease type floatants can cause it to sink and it would be best to apply a silica powder type floatant but only in the area of the wing. Up here I use Frogs Fanny, the applicator brush allows you to treat a smaller portion of the fly rather than the whole fly being shaken in a container.

Otherwise, switch to using whiskey in your tumbler rather than water and empty after each try. In a short while it won't matter.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Gringo -

"Otherwise, switch to using whiskey in your tumbler rather than water and empty after each try. In a short while it won't matter," so says Sagefisher.

When following Larry's advice, do be sure to take the sunken fly out of the test tank before emptying it, or it WILL matter.

John
    The fish are always right.

Some "sage" advice, thanks. My wife was tempted to drink the glass of water with a dozen drowned flies in it as it rested on the kitchen window sill but managed to resist.

I did manage to get some success by whittling down a few pieces of polystyrene from a fruit box into small football shapes about 1/4 inch long, threading them on the hook, gluing, then dubbing over them. Even so, the fly still floats too low in the water for my liking.

Maybe a couple of hackle turns might help.... As for CDC, I found that once it gets dunked it sinks too like everything else. I even bought the "oiler puffs" to try but they do the same too. Floatants I have tried, and frogs fanny too.

I'm thinking now that fishing emergers is often very challenging - fish seem very selective, much more so than with dries or wets. I wonder if it all relates to where they are sitting in the surface film?

By the way, I was doing these on a 2X long #14.

Default See Saw Caddis

Gringo
    in Fly Tyer mag. there was an article on flies for picky trout. that aside, there was one fly that i think could be modified for you.

Step 1: pick your hook - a lightweight dry fly hook is critical in the size you choose
    Step 2: lightly dub the back 2/3 of the fly
    Step 3: this is where the standard changes - tie on your hackle first
    Step 4: attach your wing - this could just be a strip of your fur instead of a loop or it could be foam trimmed to the shape of wings

this fly balances on the surface on the tip of the wing and on the bottom hackles. with the butt sticking under the surface.

on another note, don't use wire if you want it to float. instead use a loop of your tying thread to make the ribbing.

the way you described the emerger, it sounds like it SHOULD be sinking and might look like a just starting to swim to the surface emerger.

i don't know. i have not tyed the fly but it came from a cred. source

good luck. tight lines.

Jordan

Talking

Wow Jordan, you must be psychic!

I was thinking about what Jerome had to say earlier, that is:

If the "bum" end of your fly (hook bend) sinks why not finish up with a two turn wrap of dry fly hackle just behind the eye? Just put floatant on the two hackle wraps. The bum would still sink but the front would float...perfect!
    It has puzzled me all day, then I had to rush home and try this out. Why does the bleeding obvious have to be so difficult to see? Thank you from the bottom of my heart Jerome and Jordan, you have solved the problem and assisted in the creation of one mighty emerger which will doubtless be the undoing of trout down under.

I dropped the wire rib because it seemed to add too much weight instead of just making it bum heavy, and added three turns of furnace hackle sort of behind the wing like a dumbed down Humpy.

Man this fly rocks - it sits PERFECT in the surface film, just like the real thing. Hot hot hot I am so chuffed now, thanks guys. Can't wait to fish it. Look out you trouties!

glad i could help Gringo

Jordan

Do a search for paraloop method..might be the answer your looking for...there is an excellent book on the subject as well.

+ Reply to Thread