+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Quotes & When

ohiofly ... please note rolled eyes at the end of my post. Thus, this being a family site, I will NOT be posting what I "sometimes" say!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Two of my well-used flyfishing quotes are - when I've snagged up or put one in the trees or I'm standing on my line or... and all for about the third time... "Somebody tell me again how much fun I'm having."

When I lose the 'big' one. I kind of "sniff' a couple times and say, "I was going to turn him loose anyway - but I wanted to pet him first."

I haven't really had a "boss" in about 30 years but a hundred years ago I was working in a small radio station and the program director was way more impressed with himself that I was. The third time he came into the booth, one morning, chewing on me about something I really had no control over I said. "Tim, I believe you better find someone to turn that record over." (how's that for "dating" myself ) Yeah - yeah - I should have given them "two weeks" but I liked my way better.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the Little Buffalo when I caught a rainbow on this worm looking thing I tied up. Since we were having a little fish-fry, we were keeping most of what we caught. After a few seconds of "battle" with this fish, a very nicely colored rainbow came up out of the water on my hook and I had the hardest time getting a grip on it. Slippery little suckers... Anyhoo... I realized that I did not have my stringer ready and I was trying to hold the fish and keep it from tangling itself in the line anymore than what it already was. I decided to set the fish back in the water (I had not unhooked it yet) and get my stringer. As soon as I did this, the rainbow jumped out of the water, shook the hook out and swam away.

And the cleaner saying I most often use in situations like this is, "Proper planning, prevents p**s poor performance." I won't post the other things I say at time like this....
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    ohiofly ... please note rolled eyes at the end of my post. Thus, this being a family site, I will NOT be posting what I "sometimes" say!!!

Just gotta Love Ya Betty
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Blog Entries

I figure when all the possible words and combinations thereof are used up, I will resort to quoting other people. Until then, I try to think for myself.

On the other hand, I once read in a Pat McManus story something to the effect of, "So much for having sex while shooting rapids". I may have used adaptations of that on occasion.

DG

Default Quote

Whenever something goes wrong on the water I remind myself of how true the following quote is as I gave up golf for fly-fishing, easy decision in hindsight.

"Golf is nothing more than a good walk spoiled" (I forget who said it, some famous golf guru)

The truth is, fly-fishing, or fishing period, is a good trip to the park, stream, woods, wherever that water is, not spoiled but with the bonus of maybe catching fish. I never regret going to the water, never, and that's the truth.

Of course, there are times I don't go when maybe I should drop those things that might cause regret, and just GO.

nighthawk Guest

Bass Hole: What you call your favorite fishing hole for bass or what you call the angler that beat you to your favorite hole for bass!

+ Reply to Thread