+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being a poor sport (off topic).....

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default Being a poor sport (off topic).....

...is extremely disgusting to me. First, as a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, let me congratulate the Detroit Red Wings organization and their fans on capturing your fourth Stanley Cup in eleven years! Congratulations!

Last, and certainly not least, let me apologize for the fans that were booing during the Cup Presentation. Their behavior was boorish and inexcusable. I have always thought that NHL fans were a cut above the rest. We have always cheered a good play, stood up for a fallen player and congratulated the winner even if they just beat our team for the cup. This year the Red Wings were the better team and they have my respect.

I am quite ticked off at those that booed. They insulted the teams, the NHL and fans like me that appreciate a truly great sport!

GOOOOO RED WINGS!!! only good thing in Detriot PA fans have always been a class act, must have been a full moon?
    I feel like you eric.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Eric, I think I told you last year that the definition of a Penguin was a slow moving ice creature who falls easy prey to Red Wings. Working nights I only saw the two +overtime periods Tuesday. It is a wonder either team was able to play so soon after that marathon.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Eric, I think I told you last year that the definition of a Penguin was a slow moving ice creature who falls easy prey to Red Wings. Working nights I only saw the two +overtime periods Tuesday. It is a wonder either team was able to play so soon after that marathon.

The Wings didn't think it was so easy. They very nearly got clipped. I seem to recall that those slow Penguins won that overtime game.

"All good things come to he who waits"
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Eric,
    It's the Swedes fault!
    Quote; It was the best night for Swedish hockey since the national squad won the gold medal at the 2006 Turin Olympics. Along with Lidstrom's achievement, Henrik Zetterberg, who had a goal and assist in the Cup clincher, earned the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP."
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

nighthawk Guest

Doug,
    that reinforces my point exactly. These fans were such poor sports that they didn't care about the rare event they were witness to. A check of the Penguins web site reveals that I am not the only Pens fan that was upset about this.

Folks this reminded me of the poor sportsmanship in general out there. We sometimes call it stream etiquette or stream side manners but it is sportsmanship. What those certain Pens fans did is a symptom of the greater problem with a lack of respect and manners.

It all reminded me of something that happened to me while out on the water over the Memorial Day Holiday. While spin fishing the local lake I had laid out a fairly long cast and a kayak paddler went right over top of my line. While Crappie fishing I was using live fat head minnows under a slip bobber from the bank so there was no excuse for that person not to see my line.

I am ashamed to admit that I got a little hotter about it than I usually do while dealing with the situation. For some reason this seems to happen frequently with people in bass boats. I did keep from cussing the person out but they also knew that they had committed a breach of stream side manners. I had already had several too close for comfort incidents with a couple of boaters that day.

Sorry for the rant. I just do not understand the lack of manners and sportsmanship in general.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 06-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.

As a flat lander, this is what I think of first!!

Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Wink birds

I agree with you, HRH Betty!
    Wyo-Blizzard

nighthawk Guest

+ Reply to Thread