Some of the best money I ever spent was in h iring guides. I learned early on to be honest of my capabilities and not be afraid to shop around.

When I fished Colorado, I hired a guide after phone interviewing over 10 guides. It wasn't until that "magical moment" occured on the phone that I knew this fellow fit my style and would teach me, not just guide me to fish, tie on a fly, point to the water, and then stand back. I learned a lot from that fellow.

Then, I came back east and hired a local guide for myself and my sons for 2 days (1 day spring 1 day fall) for 3 consecutive years. Talk about a learning curve. He helped us learn how to fish under vastly different conditions, and gave us confidence that we could go out on our own.

Now I'm sure quite a few will disagree with me, but now 10 years later, my sons and I still discuss a technique or an idea that the local guide showed us.

As for me and my sons, it was money well spent (that and taking casting lessons from an FFF instructor). But that's a whole other email.

Bottomline - shop around - ask questions of the locals. They know these guys personally and professionally. Then, make the phone calls, talk to the guide and be honest, but most important: listen to what they say. You'll know when you've found the right guide.