+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled leader tippit rings

Hybrid View

Default Furled leader tippit rings

Could someone explain how I would go about adding a tippit ring to a furled leader? I have been using the shorb loop on and I would like to try one with a tippit ring to see how it casts.

Thanks
    Bill

Default tippet rings

Before you start to twist each individual leg of the leader slip the ring over all the threads of one of the legs. I put a piece of 4lb mono through the loops then slide the ring over the mono (which acts as a threader) and then over the unfurled threads all the way down to the tippet end of the leader. If this does not make sense I will try again in more detail.

Tig's method can also be done using a crochette hook. Slip the ring over the hook then hook the leader loops off the peg and slide the ring onto that leg of the leader.
    Another way is to twist and furl the leader. Put the Shorb loop in the butt end. Then, again with the crochette hook with ring on it, pick up the small loop at the tippet end and slide the ring onto the leader. Then put the knit picker through the small loop and latch the Shorp loop pulling it through and sliding the small loop all the way down the leader to trap the ring.
    A 2 mm ring requires a #14 crochette hook and a 2.5 mm ring can be done with a #11.
    If you are using 2 mm rings and furling 4# mono the method discribed by Tig works the best as there is too much bulk/od at the tippet end to get the ring onto the leader.
    The 2 mm rings work well with both methods on 6/0 Uni tying thread or .005 C&C nylon.

You can thread a 2 mm ring on a leader made from 4 lb mono? WOW! That has got to be a tight fit. I use NICHE rings and the 2 mm is the size of a #10 fly hook eye. I do use them on the Kathy Scott leaders and they are perfect. For my 5 1/2' and 6' with 14/12/10/8/6 I use the NICHE 3 mm. I do know that each company's rings are a little different. I was using Streamside, but have recently switched

With great difficulty Joni, with great difficulty!! Hardly any room left for the tippet!! But they sure look nice on one of Kat's Uni Thread leaders! For the 4# mono/flourocarbon I use the 2 1/2 mm rings.

Question Size chart

Is there a size chart hiding on FAOL, leader + ring + Tippet ?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

+ Reply to Thread