How well do you know your home waters?
In EdD's recent report of an evening on the Duck River he mentions a "Silver Maple" that he had to retrieve his fly from 5 times. That "Silver Maple" is "Charles" (not Charlie!) and if you are nice he will give you your fly back. The "Stump" is "Mike" and can be a nasty character unless you have his respect. That chunky BG is "Junior" and if he likes you will send out his big brother "Bubba" to pull your string!
Upstream are two overhanging trees, "Gladis" & "Iris". I spend a lot of time attempting to cast a fly under up them close to the bank. I also spend a lot of time getting my fly out of their resplendant foilage! They now tease me by grabbing the fly but have learned to drop it like a fallen bug from their branches. Then there's "Ralph" The Rock! He sneaks up on me in an attempt to trip me. I think he just needs to be petted and if I just roll him around a bit he leaves me alone.
Oh yes, the snake is "James" he just comes out to say hello!
Respect the things around you, they will pay you back a thousand fold and make your fishing much more rewarding.
Did I catch a trout today? No, but I sure had a lot of help from my friends!