Well, I can't give any advice on how to catch, since I'm one of the worlds worst fisherman. However, I can say that I try and learn something each and every time I fish. This is mainly a problem when I go after Steelhead. I swear, they're like a unicorn or some other mythical creature. There are (most) times I'm not catching (probably due to fishing in an area where there ain't any fish-don't ask) and I really concentrate on my casting accuracy, line mending and presentation. So the day's not a total wash, I've sharpened some skills. But that does get old after a while. That's when I thank God that I have Bluegills that I can harass. I truely believe that my fishing enjoyment has risen the past two years from taking my son fishing for 'Gills. Come on now, does any one really believe the statement "well, I didn't catch anything, but it was nice to be on the water",? O.K. that is partly true "a bad day fishing is better that a good day at work", but don't we all enjoy it more when we are catching? I hope that you have Bluegills or some other willing fish available that you can catch, it's good for the mind and spirit.
Tom.