+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'd be having a lot more fun if I actually caught a fish now and then.

Hybrid View

Default I'd be having a lot more fun if I actually caught a fish now and then.

Hi folks:

It's Greg here, from the "A Newbie's Journey" articles last season. It's been a long quiet winter here in the Sierra mountains. New regulations opened up the North Fork of the American river to fishing during the November to April off season. Barbless hooks, artificial lures, and catch and release only. The new rules seem made for fly fishing.

I tried winter fishing a few times near Iowa Hill and Yankee Jim's crossing with no results (don't 'cha just love those old gold miner place names?) The water was gin clear and deep and not a fish to be seen anywhere. Even fishing nymphs deep and slow got me no strikes at all. Maybe the water was too cold, or too clear or too . . . something.

So in April opening day comes and I spend that evening at my favorite spot on the Bear river. After stalking a rising trout for what felt like an hour (but was probably only about 15 minutes) I got close enough without spooking it to get a dry fly in front of him. He gulps it up and I set the hook. He dives deep and then comes straight back up leaping into the air clearing the water by a full body length. As he tosses his head back and forth he throws the fly and as quickly as it starts, it's over.

That was the only strike I've had this year.

I've tried fishing slow moving eddies behind rocks; I've tried finding pockets in riffles; I've tried multi-fly rigs with a dry fly, a copper john hanging off of that and a light hare's ear nymph hanging off of that.

Nothing.

I've been turning over rocks and seeing nothing but tiny translucent nymphs. I switch to small light colored nymphs to match those tiny translucent nymphs.

Nothing.

Two weeks ago when the Bear river and Truckee river were flowing at 2 to 3 times the normal CFM I tried a weighted molting crawfish pattern that I let tumble down the river like a crawfish that's been torn away from the bottom. I even tried tying a stonefly nymph behind that to give the fish 2 targets to hit.

Nothing.

This weekend I went back to the American to try hitting a whole series of pockets in a long run. I tried a dry fly with a wet fly hanging off of it, I tried a dry fly with a beetle hanging off if it, I tried nymphs under a strike indicator.

Nothing.

The only thing I've caught this year is a mild case of poison oak.

I find that I'm having trouble relaxing at the river any more. I'm getting so frustrated at not catching anything (or even getting strikes) that my expectations are overwhelming the joy of simply being at the river. If I drive some distance to the Truckee or Yuba that expectation is even higher because now I've invested time and gas money.

I need to find that "happy place" where I was last year when I was just beginning to learn how to cast and present a fly. I need to learn to relax at the river again. But most importantly, I need to catch a freakin' fish! Last year it took a dozen trips before I caught my first fish. By the end of the season I would regularly catch one, two, sometimes even three fish in one evening. Now I can't even prove that there are fish in that darn river.

So, does anyone have any advice for handling a dry spell? Or is "Get over it and go fishing" the best advice?

You might try fishing midges under a strike indicator until the water temp goes up and more hatches start.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

3. Default

Well here in Minisota, we have a short fishing season, disregarding ice fishing. The water stays cooler longer, and gets colder sooner. And belive me it can be difficult going out again, and again without a hit. Still the simple act of casting over a body of water does it for me. And when I finnally get that first hit of the season. My whole body trembles. And all thouse moments of fustration are gone. I am once again that littel boy fishing at my grandfathers pond.
    So I say just go out have fun, don't think so much. The fish will be there when the time is right.

I second Dshocks suggestion. You could still use a dry instead of the indicator though. Try a small beadhead 18 or 20 midge 18" below the indicator/fly and fish it in the same places you would the dry. I do this all year long when things get tough.

Keep after it Dru, i want to read more of your exploits.

Rich
    Last edited by crook33; 06-04-2008 at 02:42 PM.

You might want to consider hiring guide. You can generally split the fee with a buddy. Guides will educate you where the fish are and what they are feeding on. A couple of my favorite spots now are places I have been with guides. Out of respect I will give them the right away when they are in the area.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Bluegills!

Sounds to me like you need to spend a day catching bluegills. They're fun, fairly easy, and will make you forget all about your trouting troubles. Plus it'll give the water time to warm up and the flows to come back down to a reasonable amount. It might even help to restore a little confidence in your abilities. There's nothing worse than fishing with self doubt as a partner.

Fish
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Got one word:

Wooley Bugger.

Well, make that two.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Hey Dru, don't get me down, I am doing my first ever real flyfishing this Thursday to Sunday and hope I get a few for a lunch. Were going to the Kern River and yes, I will do my best not to get killed. Everyone says that when I say "I am going the Kern". Don't plan on wadding in the water, no wadders yet. Well I wish you better luck and thanks for posting your quandary. By reading the other's replies I get to learn about how to maybe not fall into a slump such as yours. Good luck but not to much, I am going to need some myself I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DruLeeParsec View Post
    ...So, does anyone have any advice for handling a dry spell? Or is "Get over it and go fishing" the best advice? ...
    Dru -

Take a road trip to Montana or Wyoming. Do not pass through Idaho since we do not have any trout around here !!

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 06-04-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread