+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Improbably Small 'Gill Seeks large, Gaudy Fly for Dinner and Dancing

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Improbably Small 'Gill Seeks large, Gaudy Fly for Dinner and Dancing

I met Jack Hise on the Duck River below the Normandy Dam last Friday. They were still only spilling about 40 cfs, less than a third of the normal release. After getting stuck in Nashville traffic I realized that I had forgotten to bring my flies! Argh! I returned home and hastily retrieved them. That was a wasted hour. I finally got to the water and worked from the parking lot upstream. I found a sweet, little pocket and pulled out a couple of stocker rainbows on a size 10 parachute dry. The pattern is part of a series of more or less deliberate experiements on my part. I kept the same dry all day, although there were a few tense moments involving trees.

After a while, we met up with Doublewide and made our way downstream. Jack kept working the trout with his Purple Pizzazz. I kept the dry and worked a hot hole for 'gills and their cousins. I think that this is a stump and snag known well to the Ohio Terror himself. I hooked an adjacent silver maple at least 5 times, but I was always able to retrieve my fly. I landed a wee crappie.

I had my fly slapped all over the water by a procession of bluegills that were small enough (sub-three inchers) to make nice aquarium specimens. I landed a few. Then the bigger fish got involved. The biggest 'gill too me straight in The Snag. I couldn't muscle it out fast enough, so I turned low-down-sneaky-mean. I tried dragging the fish into the snag. Bluegills pull away from you and turn their bodies perpendicular to the direction in which you try to pull them. The fish swam straight away from the safety of the timber and ran hard for open water. It is a trick that I have used before. I have even had 'gills run to the gravel bar on which I was standing and belly-out.

I managed to land the nice +7-inch bluegill and release it. I really prefer barbless hooks. I managed to release most of the fish by grabbing the hook and inverting it.

Jack kept working the tail-out behind me, taking trout. I don't know how many he took. I didn't keep track of how many fish I caught. I was simply having a great time. Perhaps the biggest excitement was having a water snake almost slither over the tow of my wading boot. I think that it was just a banded water snake, but I couldn't see the face closely enough to be sure. I moved and the snake fled, another indicator that it was probably a harmless water snake. Yes Virginia, we DO have snakes swimming in our trout streams Down Here. They are mostly polite and do not wish to cause anyone any trouble.

We hung around the parking lot below the dam until well after dark like so many not-so-juvenile delinquents with no homework to worry about. We chatted and planned and enjoyed each others company. All too soon, it was time for me to start my 2-hour drive home. It was almost 11:00 when I got there. I can't help but to be thankful for another great afternoon and evening on the Duck.

Ed

Ed,

Really glad you had a good time and hopefully, one of these days, your work schedule and mine will permit us to fish together. I really enjoy fish for the bluegill and black perch. Doublewide and I fished Bedford Lake yesterday, after I got off work, and we had a good time with big bluegill, a few bass and catfish all on a fly rod. Had a blast.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Talking

Ed;
    That was a lot of fun! The fly I was using was an all olive softhackle and when I looked at it the next day I discovered the body was chewed down to the lead!!
    I went back today and must say that after the TVA ran 155 cfs for several hours Sat. & Sun before dropping back to 88 cfs the river is much cleaner, deeper and cooler (64). I just fished between the bridge and the dam and did not locate any trout just some fiesty bream.

(Sigh) Must be nice... Our two streams were stocked last week and I haven't had a chance to go yet... If I'm not broke, I'm out of gas. When I fill up my tank, I'm broke again... D'oh!!!
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

You ridgerunnin' stump jumpers are having way too much fun for your own good. Tell ya what I'll do. I'll be flying over your honey holes on the way to Knoxville in a few weeks,and for a nominal fee, I won't cast the dreaded Idaho 'tater curse down on your home waters. I assure you that even a glance askance at your favorite water would ruin it for at least the rest of the season. I have that power. In some places, all I have to do is show up, and the fishing turns off for weeks. I'm going to be in K'Ville for a week, the first of July. I hope it doesn't ruin the fishing in the whole state.
    I've gotta see my latest grandbaby. (Remember the kid in the (ugh) Yankee uniform?) I'm tellin' you turkey chasers that your fishing is in peril, and we should negotiate some sort of agreement. Or, one of you could take me fishin' and try to break the curse. At any rate, I'm coming. I think getting a look at Junior will be worth the risk.
    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...jMKVlyH030.jpg
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Blog Entries

After seeing that picture, I agree with you. As for your "curse", this river has had Jack Hise basically take up residence. The Tube Terror has fished it. WarrenP has caught all of the fish enough times to be one a first name basis with them. The stockers have developed opinions on whether they prefer purple or orange Power Bait. I don't see you doing to much more. The Duck may not be Glasgow's Kelvin, but it is still an industrial little river. Both rivers still have trout.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread