+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing Leaders

Hybrid View

Default Changing Leaders

Got another question gang regarding leaders.

Now with a 5WF line and a 5X leader I'm currently using, if I want to use larger flies, like a 2 or 4 fly hook, is it ok to just change the leader on the fly line to handle the larger flies? I would assume a leader in the range of 0-1X ... is this acceptable with a 5WF / 5W rod?

Thx's again,

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Blog Entries

Smile Leader size

Yes you need to increase the size of your leader. Here is a suggested chart showing leader to fly size: This is just a rule of thumb chart, different leaders will handle different sizes of flies.

For some reason unknown to me I can not seperate the data below, I do and when I save it everything jumps back together.

The first number is the tippet diameter (.003)
    The second number is the tippet size (8x to x4)
    The third number is the pound test of the leader (1.2 pounds to 18 pounds)
    The last series of numbers are the suggested fly size (24, 26 28 etc)

Tippet Diameter Tippet Size Pound Test* Fly Size
    .003 8x 1.2 24,26,28
    .004 7x 2 20,22,24,26
    .005 6x 3 16,18,20,22
    .006 5x 4 14,16,18
    .007 4x 5 12,14,16
    .008 3x 6 10,12,14
    .009 2x 7 6,8,10
    .010 1x 8.5 2,4,6
    .011 0x 10 1/0,2,4
    .012 x1 12 2/0,1/0,2
    .013 x2 14 3/0,2/0,1/0,2
    .014 x3 16 5/0,4/0,3/0,2/0
    .015 x4 18 6/0,5/0,4/0,3/0

However, what you have to remember is that there will come a point and time when the fly will overpower the fly line and rod. A 5 weight rod and line can only handle a certain weight of fly before it fails to load properly and your cast will disintegrate rapidly. Then you have to go to a heavier rod and line.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 06-01-2008 at 12:23 AM.
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

However, what you have to remember is that there will come a point and time when the fly will overpower the fly line and rod. A 5 weight rod and line can only handle a certain weight of fly before it fails to load properly and your cast will disintegrate rapidly. Then you have to go to a heavier rod and line.
    Absolutely true. Even though I've cast some bead head woolie buggers in the size 6 range and a couple times have cast clouser minnows with my 7'6" 3 weight, it was not pretty. I would more call it a lob than a loop.

It works, but it wouldn't make the cover of a magazine.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
    it was not pretty. I would more call it a lob than a loop.

It works, but it wouldn't make the cover of a magazine.

Jeff
    Gee, that sort of describes all my casts

Fish
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Thanks for the chart Larry, that's a big help.

So I understand this correctly, the "Tippet" is the tippet end of the leader the chart refers to correct?

I am looking at going with a 6W with a 6/7WF line rod very soon. I do like to throw larger flies sometimes.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]However, what you have to remember is that there will come a point and time when the fly will overpower the fly line and rod. A 5 weight rod and line can only handle a certain weight of fly before it fails to load properly and your cast will disintegrate rapidly. Then you have to go to a heavier rod and line.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Leaders are rated by length and the a number with an "X". The number is the tippet size. The smaller the number the bigger the tippet. 8X to 12X is a very fine tippet for very small flies. Most trout dry fly fishing is done with 5X to 7X. 3X and 4X are great for nymphs, and lastly 0X to 2X are great for streamers. I use a quick and simple formula for choosing tippet size. For dry flies I divide the hook size by 3 (a 18 fly would use a 6X tippet). For Nymphs I divide by 4 (a 16 fly would use 4X). A 5wt rod should have no problem casting flies from 2 to 32, unless you get into some very heavily weighted flies or very large bushy flies that are very wind resistant.

Blog Entries

Smile tippets, flies & rods

Mike,

In reference to the chart, the term 'tippet' refers to the part of the leader that is tied directly to the fly. It does not matter if it is really tippet or the actual leader.

In reality, when we usually use the term 'tippet' we mean the extra piece of material that we tie onto the end of the leader. These both extend the length of the leader and the useable life of the leader, especially tapered leaders. A tapered leader is designed with a short section at the thin end, or fly tying end, and this is the section that is the rated 'X' size. Often when you put on a new leader you will not use any tippet material unless you wanted to step down the size one more 'X' rating or unless you wanted to put on a piece of fluorocarbon material. However, after tying on two or three new flies, you will have used up the original 'X' rated size of your tapered leader and to maintain that you have to tie on actual tippet material.

A 6 weight rod is an excellent choice and depending on the rod, it will handle some rather large flies.

Good luck fishing and have fun.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

thanks Ray & Larry, for that excellent information. I have some #'s 4 & 6 flies, some woolys and a few poppers, I want to use on my 5w rod.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread