Thread: Plastic or Glass?

Threaded View

Default Plastic!

I've been white watering and fishing out of my Blue Hole, an ABS white water canoe, for well over 25 years... and I purchased it used! No glass boat would have survived the abuse this boat has taken over the years... and it still looks pretty good!

As a white water canoe's high profile catches too much wind, it isn't the best for fishing, but an ABS boat kept out of the direct sun is indistructible. Even if ya' don't give it proper care, the life of an ABS canoe can be extremely long. My Blue Hole has never been 'treated right", i.e. stored indoors or under cover, but rather, it has spent almost all of its life "up under the bushes" or just shaded in the filtered light of my huge oak. It's faded a little, but the vinyl and ABS is still in excellent shape.

Beside glass boats are too heavy, "grab" rocks and dump ya' when ya' least expect it, and crack upon impact with solid objects.

Oh yeah, and the gel coat of a glass boat doesn't hold up too well to long term exposure to direct sun... I own that tee shirt also.

my two cents...

Bowfin47

PS

While oysters will chaff and scratch glass and plastic, plastic is still more forgiving of the damage.
    Last edited by bowfin47; 06-05-2008 at 01:11 PM.