+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crease fly patterns???

Question crease fly patterns???

anybody got a recipe or site w/ directions??? i saw the one here for the bodies

Normand Guest

Last edited by Normand; 05-31-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Crease fly that's kind of like a minnow. Link below.

Mark Delaney's Crease Fly
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dixieangler View Post
    Crease fly that's kind of like a minnow. Link below.

Mark Delaney's Crease Fly
    Robert,

I know that you like to fish a Crease Fly and that you've done well on it. How do you fish it and when?

Thanks!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGibson
    Robert,

I know that you like to fish a Crease Fly and that you've done well on it. How do you fish it and when?
    I'm not the only one, Steve. I hear from some of our fellow FAOLers that have done well on it also. They asked me to make mine (MCF or Minnow Crease Fly) a FOTW, so stay tuned. I give it a line twitch or I slowly retrieve it with jerks and pauses as it rides on or just below the surface. I don't worry about it if it lays on its side sometimes as it suggests a crippled minnow. I use it when I know the fish are keying in on minnows and sometimes even when they are not. Bigger fish eat smaller fish, namely minnows. So it seems that they like to bite it under most any circumstances at least for me anyway.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Folks, Robert has sent me a couple of his crease flies and I can tell you that they are very well done and they will catch fish! I have caught large bluegill and trout on them! I have tried my hand at copying his pattern and I am not completely happy with my results, so, I am really excited to see that he is going to put his pattern on as a FOTW!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

thanks for all the response. i attempted one of these and was pleased with the outcome until i tried it. it floats on it's side (i read how this might be a good thing, like an injured baitfish) what can i do to make the thing float upright???

Quote Originally Posted by jalama
    it floats on it's side (i read how this might be a good thing, like an injured baitfish) what can i do to make the thing float upright???
    I wouldn't worry too much about it being on its side from time to time but it shouldn't lay on its side all the time. I try to make sure that most of the foam body is positioned above the hook shank when I tie them so the hook stays below the body and the buoyancy is mostly above the hook. Hope this helps.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

9. Default Casey's crease fly

Here is a great recipe from TexasFlyReport :

http://www.texasflyreport.com/patter...ern.aspx?id=42

Barry

One of those links strongly suggested using Balsa USA Gold CA (thick) to quickly and strongly glue the foam together.

I just ordered some from the Balsa USA website, after discovering our local "Michael's" craft store didn't seem to carry it. This glue is supposed to be waterproof and also set up quickly, which would make this fly much more enjoyable to tie (rather than clamping and waiting for hours).

I can't wait to give it a shot, it should work really well for largemouth bass, white bass, hybrids, and probably smallies. I caught a musky and plenty of northern pike on a Rebel Pop-R topwater, so I don't see why they wouldn't hit this fly too!

Thanks for posting all the links, guys!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread