+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid striped bass

Default Hybrid striped bass

Anyone have any experince flyfishing for hybrid striped bass? I would really like to go out for these fish but other that a magazine article I don't know too much about them. I do know they don't like the sunlight. Where would I start in a lake that has them in, other than looking for fisherman that are pulling them in. I do know they get like footballs and are excellent to eat. I don't keep many fish but those I would.

I catch them occasionally from the bank in one of the lakes I fish when I'm fishing for LM bass. I use clouser minnows in olive or chartruese over white. They are terrific fighters and a blast to catch. They are open water fish and you will probably need a boat to target them. Lots of fun though...

Jim Smith

Your best chances when fishing from shore are to fish the downwind shorelines. If the wind is blowing STRAIGHT at the shore, and there are rocks along the shoreline, that seems to be just about perfect! But shallow points or sandbars that have the wind blowing onto them can alse be productive.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

FishnDave is right on the money.... they concentrate on those sort of areas because of the baitfish getting blown there. Get yourself some bigger baitfish patterns and HOLD ON.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Schooling Fish

Stripers and hybrids can also be found on the surface cutting up bait fish in the early morning and evening and sometimes even on cloudy days at other times. It's really a question of being in the right place at the right time (ie. a lot of luck) but they often chase bait right into shore or against riprap and other stone work. They can be caught from shore when they do this. They often repeat this pattern serveral days in a row. 8T

Someone lied to you when they said they were excellent to eat.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I fish for them all the time. You can find them off of sandy points in the mornings and afternoons, rip raps, and they are abundant below tail races. Use any fly that resembles shad, or fathead minnows.

They are excellent table fare. I have a freezer-full as we speak. But, like anything else, you need to know how to properly prepare them. Make sure you remove the red strip of meat along the lateral line from the fillets. They are great fried, baked and broiled.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 06-03-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Great Eating Fish!

Parrot,

Fresh water striper and hybrids are a fine table fish. Have you had some kind of bad experience with them? BTW, I am very happy to say that few and few stripers and hybrids are ending up on the table. Many guides and anglers now use a catch and release policy. 8T

Catch and release because they are a lot of trouble to mess with and make decent table fair. I just dont care that much for stripers and hybrids, small whites caught in the winter arent bad but this time of year dont care for them at all plus I just like to stir stuff up sometimes.

Sorry, I hope I am not hijacking the thread, but I just brought home some striper filets from NJ. I trimmed the red meat off, and then made a one gallon solution of cold water with 3 tablespoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of baking soda to soak the filets for an hour. I patted them dry, and then I used creole spices and drizzled a little olive oil before putting them on the grill. The fish held together and blackened just right. Fantastic fish and the first time I have had them. My wife and I loved the meaty texture and the flavor was great, not fish slime tasting at all, very mild and I think as good as walleye. And believe me, I have eaten a lot of walleye while living in the heart of walleye country from Lake Erie. I have however eaten white bass from Lake Erie and did not like them, so I don't know how the wipers will taste. I would like to try white bass again using the solution soak first before cooking. By the way, with the solution soak do not add any more salt to the fish afterward. Good luck with catching the wipers, wish I had some advice but I've never caught one.

+ Reply to Thread