+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eastern Green Drake Emerger

Default Eastern Green Drake Emerger

I'm going back home to PA next week primarily to fish the Green Drake hatch. Every year I tie a new pattern or two to try out. Since last year I've been terribly fascinated with emergers. Here's one I thought I try this year and see how it works out.

It's the Steve Lopatic's version of the Eastern Green Drake Emerger from "Tying Emergers" by Schollmeyer and Leeson. After cranking up a few the only thing I thought about doing different was adding a contrasting ribbing thread or something to give it a more segmented look and a bit of flash. Anyway, I'll give them a try and see how they work out.
    Joe Bertolini

Joe -

Good looking fly. Hope it works well for you down in PA. If it does, that means we get another great report with pics, right ??? Have a safe and fun trip.

John

P.S. Have you seen Scott Sanchez's PFD ( personal floatation device ) emerger ?? I tried a couple different versions last year - one a godzilla midge emerger for the Falls River in YNP which the bows loved, and another one for the Western Green Drake hatch on one of our backcountry cutthroat streams, which the cutts really went for. If you're interested, send me a PM.
    The fish are always right.

Thanks John. I'll be carrying the camera and with any luck will have a few pic to post after the trip. They weather has just started to really warm up and you never know about the Drake hatch. Even if they are their the fish could be taking Cahills, Sulphers or even Brown Drake's this time of year on the creeks I'll be fishing. I've got the patterns pretty well covered and should be able to find something the fish like. I'm even packing the Caddis you turned me on to.

Even though I'm going in hopes of hitting Green Drakes I'll be trying to let the fish tell me what they want.

There are a couple of Sanchez flies listed in "Tying Emergers" but not the one's you referenced. I'll drop you a PM. I'd be interested in taking a look at these patterns. I've really been fishing emergers a lot in the last year. They've been very productive for me, particularly on the BWO hatches. I intend to keep looking for and fishing various emergers. I'm particularly hopeful about the Sparkle Pupa patterns. I just need to get over to my local tail water and give them I try. I'll be in touch!
    Joe Bertolini

where abouts in PA are you going?

I'll be in the Southwest part of the state in the Somerset, Westmoreland, Fayette County area. I grew up just outside of Somerset near Laurel Ridge. Will be fishing the home waters with Dad.
    Joe Bertolini

6. Default

Joe,
    Good to hear you make it back once in a while.....that's EXACTLY my neck of the woods-Laurel Hill, Casselman, Indian Creek, Mill Creek, Loyalhanna, Dunbar, Meadow, Yough.....and quite a few lesser known wild trout streams in the area. There are a few new streams available due to a Pa State Park land deal as well.

The emerger looks fantastic.

Yep - It's a great part of the state to do some fishing. I've been on all the creeks you mentioned except Dunbar and it's on the list. I just checked my count down clock and just a bit over 167,000 seconds to go befor I hit the road! Can't wait!
    Joe Bertolini

+ Reply to Thread