I really have little doubt that this will work, but it has required quite a bit of playing around with my new Olympus Stylus 850SW and the software that came with it, so I consider it in the experimental stage until this thread proves out.

The BLM is in town this weekend as part of their Wild Horse and Burro Auction / Adoption Program. Somewhere around 100 mustangs ranging from yearling fillies and geldings up to four year old adults and 10 burros. As part of the Program, they have a horse handler / trainer demonstrate techniques for "gentling" wild horses.

Today's demonstration featured a two year old bay mare who was gathered with other mustangs in her band this past January in the Roberts Mountain, NV area. Since gathered, she has been corraled with other mustangs and has been around people, at distance, but not handled by anyone. She was a medium sized energetic horse with nice conformation. Turned out in the corral before the demonstration began, she showed her wild nature and background as she searched for an opening to escape, including once trying to go over the 6' high top rail. It was a delight to watch this critter move around the corral at close range - such power and grace.

Mario Johnson from Georgetown, ID was the trainer. He has been handling horses since he was a kid, and has been demonstrating "gentling" techniques with the BLM for about ten years. Keep in mind that this horse, only four months off remote Nevada desert mountain country, has never been touched by a human being before today.

It took about an hour before the horse was willing to let Mario touch her. Actually, she touched him with her nose as he held out his hand to let her smell him. Not too much further into the Program, he succeeded in getting a halter on her.

By the end of two hours, the mustang was compliant to the halter and permitted Mario to approach and pet her just about whenever he wanted to do so!! Over the two hours, this mare never once tried to bite or kick Mario - wild but not mean.

So the mare had a learning experience, I've had one learning the new camera and software, and some of the NBOF crowd had one as they looked on in admiration and envy of the mustang mare.

Been a good day. Back to fishing a small stream in the mountains tomorrow.