+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly line changing

Default Fly line changing

Hello,

I recently got into fly fishing this season. I'm using a 8'6" rod, moderate/fast action, and came pre-spooled with 5w line. Was wondering if I can one put on a 6w line for larger flies or isn't that recommended? Can one also put a 4w line on this type of rod? Or would better to use a different leader?

Thx's

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

2. Default Fly line changing

you can definitely overline a rod, or underline it. Many people overline a fast rod to slow it down and be able to cast shorter distances or you can underline if you want to carry more line in the air so you don't have to shoot line as far. Play around and see what works for you.

I use one reel with 4wt line and switch back and forth with my 4wt and 5wt rods.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

thanks for the info gang, I knew I'd get some great tips here

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Blog Entries

I have multipule spools which interchange with my reel. Makes changing the line easy, even while I am out in my pontoon boat.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by mickalo View Post
    Hello,

I recently got into fly fishing this season. I'm using a 8'6" rod, moderate/fast action, and came pre-spooled with 5w line. Was wondering if I can one put on a 6w line for larger flies or isn't that recommended? Can one also put a 4w line on this type of rod? Or would better to use a different leader?

Thx's

Mike
    What would be the reason for lining it from a 5 to 6. Is it a 5w or 6w? What does the rod say the weight is.
    Different lines from different companies will do different things. Do you have a problem throwing or loading up the rod with the 5w line? DT lines cast different than WF lines do. There's a lot of variables there.
    My questions to you:
    What's the weight of your rod. What does it say on it.
    What line does it have on it now. WF or DT.
    Is the rod to fast for you?
    What's your main problem in throwing flies?

I was reading some info, and told that a 6WF line, for a beginner, would help with better casting in tight areas. The rod is a 8'6" 5/6w moderate/fast rod, the line I'm using(came per spooled) with 5WF. As I'm still learning to prefect my basic casting I was thinking of trying a 6WF.

Mike

While changing the wt of the line is not only possible but many people go up one size in line wt especially for casts under 40' or so. If you want to cast more line and have all that line in the air you probably won't want to change the wt. Again, while this is possible, it sounds like you are new to fly casting. Instead of spending the money on the line, my best advice would be to find a fly casting instructor and take a lesson. Many of these guys will have a class that lasts around 3 or 4 hours and they charge $50. Many fly shop owners do this. You will probably be in a group of people at this price point, but that's cool too. It's good for their business and is one of the very best things a new caster can do. The lesson will cost about what a descent line will cost, but if you do this early in your fly casting life, it will pay big dividends for many years.

Then as you become a better caster you will have more information to make a better decision on what is a more appropriate line for you outfit. If you just buy a new line, you very well might have the same kinds of results that you have now.

Something to think about.

Rick

Hi Rick,

believe me, I luv to find a good fly fishing instructor/Fly Shop, but the closest fly shop to me is about a 5-6hr drive. Fly fishing isn't a very popular sport in my neck of the woods. I haven't come across any fly fisherman in this area so I depend on info I can pick up from the internet and great resources here on FAOL

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mickalo View Post
    Hi Rick,

believe me, I luv to find a good fly fishing instructor/Fly Shop, but the closest fly shop to me is about a 5-6hr drive. Fly fishing isn't a very popular sport in my neck of the woods. I haven't come across any fly fisherman in this area so I depend on info I can pick up from the internet and great resources here on FAOL

Mike
    That sucks Next best thing is a good DVD. Save your money on the fly line for a while and practice your casting stroke. Go in the yard and practice like and player of any sport does. If the only time that you cast is on the water fishing, it is like a football player only running routes when they are in the actual game. I'm as guilty as anyone of trying to buy something to fix me. Sometimes it is about practicing with what you have. Just wanted to offer this alternative to spending money.

You might find these links helpful instead of even spending money on a DVD:

http://www.virtualflycasting.com/title.htm

http://flyfisherman.com/videos/creepandjab/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2SgcCw6I8M

Spend some time on YouTube, it's a great free resource.

You still might want to change lines one of these days. SA GPX line comes standard a 1/2 size larger than what they label their line to help casting shorter distances: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...teryFresh/GPX/ In other words upsizing is popular, but again before you do that. There might be a better answer to your question.

I'm out the door to a wedding and a night full of drink and celebration with friends and family. When I am bored today, my mind will be drifting off to time spent on the water. I would rather have a fly rod in my hand.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread