+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speed Laces for Simms RiverTek Boots

Default Speed Laces for Simms RiverTek Boots

Has anyone else had a problem with the speed laces coming apart?? I've had my boots for only a couple of months and they have already broken. I contacted Simms via email and was told that they do not have replacement laces at this time. And that I need to return the boots to them for repair. Now thats 1 week to get there, prob a week sitting on the warehouse floor, and another week back to me, all because of busted laces?? I dont think so!!!!!! I'm not going without fishing for three weeks. The wifey cant keep me from fishing and I'm sure not gonna let anyone else have a say in that... I knew I should have bought the Orvis Boots. Not because I like Orvis that much, but with an Orvis store close by, I get 100% Customer Satisfaction when dealing with them. I've never had to go farther than driving to the store to fix any problem I have with something they sold me.. Pay's to stay local I guess.. Anyways, anyone else have this problem with the Simms RiverTek Boots Speed Laces????

[This message has been edited by troutnskibum (edited 08 September 2005).]

This is yet another dissapointing thing in a string of dissapointing mistakes made by Simms this year. They have really dropped the ball this season, and will need to really make up for it this next year. Ask your Simms dealer how long it took to get the "NEW" Rivertek Waders on the shelves!

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

It may just be a coincidence that once Simm's signed their contact with Bass Pro and Cabelas poor service and product shipping delays became the norm for the small, local fly shops. It's much more profitable for Simms to deal with the big box stores than it is the local retailer so is it any surprise that the folks who helped Simms get to where they are today are now the ones that are being left out in the cold?

------------------
    Dan S
    The poster formerly known as Outrider
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Here is another reply from Simms..

Here are the other options?

There are two things you can do after you cut the old lace and pull it out:

#1) Replace with a normal boot lace ? just thread as normal

#2) Replace with 1/8? shock cord(elastic cord) available by the foot in most outdoor shops

a. To replace, cut a piece approxiamately 60? long

b. Fold in half

c. Start threading from the top of the boot down towards the toe.

d. Leave a loop at the top of the boot for the cord lock

e. When you get to the last loop at the toe, run one end thru it and tie a figure 8 or other small knot with the remaining end

f. Pull knot tight, trim the ends, then melt tag ends with a match. Pull knot tight against the loop

We have regular laces we can send to you.

troutnskibum:

Try finding a pair of replacement laces for the Chota STL shoe. All of these ?speed laces? are nothing more than a length of shock cord which you can buy by the foot at BETTER camping stores if you strike out finding the Chota laces. There is usually a small fob on the end of the laces which you can remove from the old pair and re-install on the camping store variety shock cord if you can find it. The Chota replacement lace kit comes with laces, new fobs and new cord locks.

If the Simms laces are anything like the Chota?s you better lay in a supply. One or the other breaks at least once or twice a season. DON?T draw them tight with a hard pull but rather a gradual tightening. That has helped me with my Chota?s. It is the ONLY complaint I have with my Chota?s although I really don?t want to go to conventional laces just yet.

I was thinking about sourcing the type of shock cord that is in my Folstaf. That stuff is indestructible although much thicker.

Good luck

see if there is an army navy surplus store near by and check there for flight boots laces . Most of them were speed lace and they are made to last. THey are not elasstic,don't stretch and are tough as nails. Make sure they are for flight crew boots not normal combat boots.I have an old pair of wading boots theat are done with speed laces and a friend got me my new laces at a surplus store their 5 yrs old,with no signs of giving out anytime soon.

+ Reply to Thread