I consistently read fly fishers write that one of the major draws of fly fishing is the chance to relax, commune with nature and enjoy a slower pace. I've often told other people that is one reason why I fish and sometimes I've believed it but...recently I've come to a realization. If I go fishing 10 times, then 9 of those times I'll be driving 15 MPH over the speed limit to get to the parking area, rushing so fast to change clothes/into waders and string up the rod once I'm there that I'm bound to forget something. Once I get whatever it was I forgot, I've lost even more time and it's off to the races to get into the water and casting. Ever since I was a 12 year old kid I've practically (and sometimes literally) ran to the water's edge in anticipation. I find that I'm constantly checking my watch to see how much time I have left before I leave and fishing has become one of the most fast paced things I do.

Anyone else out there experience this or is it really just a lolly gag walk down the water? You sit down, observe nature, smell the flowers and stretch once or twice before actually taking the fly off the keeper to make a few long, lazy casts to a likely spot? Do you fish until you get tired of fishing or the light says no more and then slowly trod back to the vehicle to head home? Or is it a constant battle; a race against the big hand and the little hand that you know you can never really win?

I expect I'll get differening answers on this one and I'll bet that perpsective and family situations play a pretty big determining factor in it too.