+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you really relax?

Hybrid View

Default Do you really relax?

I consistently read fly fishers write that one of the major draws of fly fishing is the chance to relax, commune with nature and enjoy a slower pace. I've often told other people that is one reason why I fish and sometimes I've believed it but...recently I've come to a realization. If I go fishing 10 times, then 9 of those times I'll be driving 15 MPH over the speed limit to get to the parking area, rushing so fast to change clothes/into waders and string up the rod once I'm there that I'm bound to forget something. Once I get whatever it was I forgot, I've lost even more time and it's off to the races to get into the water and casting. Ever since I was a 12 year old kid I've practically (and sometimes literally) ran to the water's edge in anticipation. I find that I'm constantly checking my watch to see how much time I have left before I leave and fishing has become one of the most fast paced things I do.

Anyone else out there experience this or is it really just a lolly gag walk down the water? You sit down, observe nature, smell the flowers and stretch once or twice before actually taking the fly off the keeper to make a few long, lazy casts to a likely spot? Do you fish until you get tired of fishing or the light says no more and then slowly trod back to the vehicle to head home? Or is it a constant battle; a race against the big hand and the little hand that you know you can never really win?

I expect I'll get differening answers on this one and I'll bet that perpsective and family situations play a pretty big determining factor in it too.
    Leave No Trace

I sometimes am in a hurry to get there, but once I do I always take time to observe and relax before I start fishing. I look at the bugs, the water, try to locate rising fish or any fish feeding in the stream. Then once I'm 'settled' down I will tie one on and cast. It can get a little bit nerve racking at times--like during a major green drake spinner fall or something similar, but for the most part I'm pretty chill and put myself in a relaxed mindset once I'm on the stream.

No matter what the case though, once I'm done and on my way home, I'm always more relaxed.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Wild One........................
    Leave the watch home. Cell phone too. And whatever you forgot, forget it.
    Keep your rod and vest or chestpack or whatever you ACTUALLY HAVE when you are ACTUALLY casting and fishing in your rig at all times.

Yes. and Yes. the Lollygag method is truly and exactly how I go fishing. Except for when I go for just an hour or so after work in the mornings. Then, I still lollygag as much as I can, and still no watch or stupid phone......And it's usually more like an hour or so...................
    .....................heavy on the or so ........................ModocDan

Quote Originally Posted by modocdan View Post
    Wild One........................
    Leave the watch home. Cell phone too. And whatever you forgot, forget it.
    If you are checking with 'outside sources' you are doomed. The best fishing is when someone says, 'Hey, it's been 3.5 hours, let's get some lunch', or similar, and you think it has been about an hour and half.

Default Yes and no

Like you, I rush to get there and into the river, but once I'm on the water time slows down and I'm into the Zen of fishing. All the hassels of work and society in general are forgotten and I'm concentrating on reading the river,watching for a hatch and trying to think like a fish. And yes I do stop to look around and soak in the beauty of nature. I always see interesting birds and animals, flowers and trees,amazing rock formations and cloud paterns. I'm not into organized religion, but whenI'm on the river I feel religious - closer to God than any other time. When It's time to go,I feel fullfilled and warm inside like the afterglow from good sex. I head home and can't wait until I can return to fish another day.

Smile

WILD ONE

You certainly are not alone. I'm 59yrs. and I get just as excited the last day of the season for me as if it were the first day of season. I love to pause often and watch the passing river and listen to all the sounds of running water, the birds and oh yes the "oh ****" once in awhile from either me or my son. As I have said before I will pause just to watch my son work the water as he is poetry in motion. We always save the best for last as we will spend eight days on our favorite river with more than fifty miles of river every October and we will be alone to catch S/head, Trout, Bull Trout, White Fish, what is there not to get excited about. Once a kid always a kid.

When fishing becomes work...one obviously need to drink more and fish less.
    nam

Of course I'm in a hurry. I think about the time I've wasted:

college
    shaving
    mowing the lawn
    working
    talking about the relationship,

and wouldn't have if I'd discovered trout earlier.

i am in a hurry to get to the water, but once there i relax and generally lose track of time. I am focused when i am fishing, but that focus can be broken by a bird, or animal or even a fish.

The walk back to the truck is always leisurely and relaxed.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Blog Entries

Default agreed

I often find myself fishing with the same intensity that gets me through a work day

To make it worse, after catching a large fish I'm so exited that I'm fishing too fast and being even less productive.

Patience........learned! I just need to teach myself. I'd hate to see how high-strung I'd be without fly fishing.

+ Reply to Thread