Thread: Do you really relax?

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Red face

Your kidding with this right? Relax? I fall asleep streamside so often my kids called me Rodge Van Winkle. I have fallen asleep in my kayak 10 miles out in the ocean off lookout island light while jigging cod. I fell asleep while trolling on Okanagan lake and ran smack into the floating bridge. I fell asleep most recently at Stan Coffin lake at the fish in. I just drifted around a bit and woke up refreshed. I have in the past awoken to find a fish on my line tuckered right out from trying to get my attention to let it go. I just let the scenery roll over me and the nice sunshine to warm me and the waves to rock me to sleep.

Like Ron EagleElk I study the lake from shore, talk my head of at any strangers nearby to get a feel of the place, turn over some rocks to watch the bugs and then finally get to the business of fishing.
    Meeting interesting people will always take a front seat to actual fishing. If it were not so, I would never go to a fish in. Its the people not the fish that draw me to such events.

Alas Twas not always so. As a nipper I would dash down to the lake to be the first to cast and the last to come in.
    I was stationed up on the north coast in the coast guard. I used to run down to the dock at noon fish thru noon hour rush back to work and then back to fishing as soon as I was off. I did this 365 days of the year. Winter the days were only 6 hours long but some summer days it was light out for 22 hours per day. In winter I became very popular with my co workers because I volunteered for permanent night shift. So I could fish the short days.
    One day while fishing for pinks my arm actually got so cramped up from reeling in fish after fish that I was forced to quit for the day. But I didn't go home. I went to the dock and handlined some lemon sole for an hour or so because handlining didn't cramp my arm. I fished like that for 4 1/2 years till I was transferred inland and went from Marine to Air.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 05-29-2008 at 11:53 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!