A couple months ago, after having spotted a few people fly fishing when we were "dunkin' salmon eggs" for trout, my wife and I decided we wanted to try it. She had never used a fly rod before, whereas I had tried it 20 years ago and given up - not knowing what I was doing.

Y'all had to put up with some rookie questions from me at the start of our adventure. (Thank you!) Got plenty of good advice about equipment and possibilities for some casting lessons - we set out. Who knew that eBay had all this stuff? My goodness -- waders, boots, fly rods, reels...

A couple weeks later I'd managed to talk with some folks from one of the local Trout Unlimited chapters. One of their volunteers showed us some standard overhead casting. He talked a bit about the water - a tailwater river nearby. A little disappointing in that we got a way-too-short lesson, did some fishing and, even our instructor was skunked.

In the interim, I had PM'd a fellow pipe smoker on another board who goes by TroutBum whom I learned was a guide over in North Carolina. We arranged for some lessons and a guided fishing trip - a half day at North Mills River, NC. A few PM's and a couple phone calls and we were ready.

May 3 started out as a gorgeous sunny day. We had a couple hours drive through the mountains to get from Knoxville, TN to just south of Asheville. The road is winding but the views are breathtaking. Not only did the mountains live up to their beauty but the Paulonia trees were in full bloom. They've got gorgeous purple flowers that almost look like bunches of grapes hanging from every limb of the trees. Heck, just the drive made this trip worth-while!

We were to meet Christian (TroutBum) at the first parking area within the park at about 10:30. Me, being notoriously late, and my wife, notoriously early, worked it out where we arrived at 10:15 beating Christian by a few minutes. While waiting we hopped up on a bridge across the river only to find a fly fisherman in a pool just above. I could see trout rising along the opposite bank and in a pool mid-river. After what seemed like 20 casts into the opposite bank - success! The fellow had a fish. I figured this had to be a great day for fishing.

Spotted Christian driving into the parking area so we headed back. Shook hands and made introductions. A short drive up to a pull-off where we parked for a treck into the woods. Waders and boots were donned. Christian fixed us up - Vicki with a beadhead fly for underwater on her overly large rod for this type of fishing (a 9 foot long 7 wt with a 5/6 wt reel and dt5f line), and me with... ok, we waited a bit to set me up.

A short hike found is in a quiet meadow - for casting lessons. Now you know why we didn't put a fly on my rig - a 6 ft 3/4 wt with corresponding reel and dt4f line - so we could practice in the grass. The overhead casting went pretty well. I use too much wrist. Then roll casting. Previous lessons had skipped that -- well, you almost never need it on that tailwater -- but here, in a beautiful, rocky, mountain river it was THE cast. Ms. Vicki took to roll casting... gee, I wish I could do as well. Our casting deemed semi-respectable, Christian herded us up-river.

A nice little pool was the first stop. He tied a top water fly on my line, showed me approximately where to put the fly (easier said than done) and headed upstream with my wife. Don't you hate when a fly drifts right over a nice fish and the trout thumbs his nose at ya? That was my predicament. I could see several. Apparently, though, I wasn't holding my tongue quite right.

Vicki was in a deeper pool... roll casting away. Christian came back later and said she was really casting well. But she, too, was having no luck.

So, up the river we went - another brief hike and we came to another run. "We'll cross here and then throw your fly along that run - near those rocks over there where the water comes right around them and then here through this seam." I dutifully crossed. The run was probably three or four feet deep. But, geez, now I gotta throw my fly left-handed or across my body. Versatility is one thing, but skilled is another. Again, I saw a nice trout in the lower part of the run but couldn't entice him. I did manage to catch that dadgum tree behind me though - which was accompanied by some giggling from up the river.

My wife was having better luck. She was working a nine or ten foot deep pool that had several fish in it. Weighted the line and put on a strike indicator. Several casts later I hear my wife... "I GOT ONE!!!!" So, I took a couple pictures from where I was fishing. Here's Vicki playing her first trout caught on a fly. A beautiful big brookie!

Excuse the pictures -- (1) I gotta brag a little, and (2) the quality is pitiful since I only had my camera phone.

She's a competitive sort and thus had to rub it in. And here I was fussing to myself because I'd managed to miss two fish near the top of the run I was fishing. They'd nosed my fly but I'd been overly anxious... or asleep at the wheel. I must admit to being lulled by the sounds of the water flowing by, the warmth of the sun, and being in the mountains. As the good-natured ribbing continued, I allowed my fly... no longer floating and me with no floatant... to drift to the end-most pool in the run. Fish on! Whoooo Hoooooooo!!!

Christian came running back to where I was fishing. "Get it on the reel!" "Let it run." "Ok, bring it in toward me. Slooowly." Broke his net, but he landed the fish. A gorgeous brook trout -- bigger than the only other brookie I'd ever caught caught (20 years ago with a Rooster Tail spin casting) -- this guy was about 10 - 12 inches and fat. Phew! We were tied. Not that anyone was counting, of course.

We fished several other pools throughout the day. Here's the wife and me with my second brook of the day. She caught another fish - a rainbow. We managed to convince Christian to fish a couple pools. Man, I wish I could cast like he can!

Here's Troutbum helping Vicki land her second fish.

After fishing, hiking and bs'ing a few hours we called it a day. Walked back to the car where we started pulling out chairs and tables and a cooler. Our guide was treated to a couple turkey and ham roll-ups courtesy of Vicki. After eating our fill, I pulled out some pipes for Christian to take a look at. We each had brought tobacco's for the other to sample. Smoked a bowl or two and chatted a while. What a great way to end the day.

I can highly recommend Christian as a guide should you want one. His interest was in us learning how to cast, how to read the river, hopefully catching some fish, and in us having a good time. He was certainly successfully in every one of those goals. I am honored to call Christian a friend.

Best,
JohnR