+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question regarding canoe stabilizers?

Blog Entries

Cool

Found this with the link from bonefishwhisperer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uwI_1Xz8P-4

I wonder if that would work on a toon to get you down the lake easily?
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I have the HD and love them the mount is removable and can still turn well in my canoe.I had my wife sister and self out Friday in a light chop and stiff breaze. She still handled well with only me at the paddle.They are definatly a wise investment.

I thought of everything to make the canoe better for people...finally solved the problem forever this week...I bought another canoe with a tunnel hull and 39inch width..totally stable..I can even stand up on a 1x12 across the back and pushpole from 2ft above the water without anybody in the front to weight it down...also now have adjustable height seat for client...what a difference the tunnel hull makes compared to the keel...same length but this one is stout and weighs only 85lbs and has a squared stern for outboard if wanted...I dont think you could flip it on purpose...I will use a platform instead...total cost $480...the stabilizers were around $400 after shipping

4. Default

I just came back to this thread becouse I thought of the same thing. There used to be a canoe (SPORTPAL, I think) that did this. I just don't want to be the first to try it. We're talking about drilling holes, and adhesive here, messy if it dosn't work. Glad I came back, don't want to loose manuverability, or make it harder to get thru the weeds.

OK, if noone else has done it, I'll try it in a couple weeks.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leakywaders View Post
    I just came back to this thread becouse I thought of the same thing. There used to be a canoe (SPORTPAL, I think) that did this. I just don't want to be the first to try it. We're talking about drilling holes, and adhesive here, messy if it dosn't work. Glad I came back, don't want to loose manuverability, or make it harder to get thru the weeds.

OK, if noone else has done it, I'll try it in a couple weeks.
    I have some of the same reservations. I do not doubt my abilities to design and build a great set of stabilizers however, being a former Crew Chief, helicopter mechanic and Co-Pilot/AeroScout, I have a tendency to err toward the safest and best designed solution. That would have cost me way more than anyone of these:

http://sailboatstogo.com/v_page.php?...noe_outriggers

Since stability while in motion is not an issue for me and most of my fishing is done while anchored I bought the Ethafoam floats. I can always switch them for the hydrodynamic floats later on if I wish to. It only took about three days for me to receive my order, if I recall correctly.

I will be installing them tomorrow for the first time. I will update you all on how well they work and hope to get some pictures too.

Meanwhile, turn on your audio and enjoy their youtube demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T0uhsg3U1c

For some folks, like me, buying a second or different watercraft is just not possible. May not be practical either.

I have a sportspal 12' canoe and I can stand up in it and flycast without tipping it, at least not yet. It rocks alittle if I get crazy with the casting. I don't get to use it much.

nighthawk Guest

I have had a few setbacks that have kept me off of the water lately folks. Sorry that I haven't been able to get this done. I am hoping to do so this week sometime.

+ Reply to Thread