+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montana

Default Montana

Planning a trip to Montana in August for some camping, packing and fly fishing. I guess I'm looking for some tips and pointers. We are considering staying in SW area and Yellowstone area. A few places that I'm looking into are Rock Creek, Yellowstone River, Clark Fork. I am interested in some backcountry stuff--like smaller tribs if possible. What are the feeder streams to some of these rivers like in summer? If anyone has any useful pointers at all, feel free to pass them on! I will be a happy camper and would be glad to shape some pointers for my neck of the woods (PA,MD,WV).

Default Fishing Montana

August is a good month to come to Montana, however fishing the tributaries might not be the best choice. I would stick to the main rivers like the Yellowstone, Madison, Gallatin, and streams in Yellowstone National Park. Backcountry fishing can be good at this time of the year, but you had better be prepared to do some strenous hiking. Unless you are acclimated to our elevation - 4,000 - 8,000 feet - it can be trying. If you like lake fishing August is a great month to fish many of our lakes. If you are not familiar with our fishing I would suggest that hiring a guide for a few days would be money well spent.

Hope you enjoy our Big Sky Country.

Tight Lines,

Neil Travis
    The Chronicler
    Livingston, Mt

I am going to disagree with the above poster, August is when i am in full stream fishing mode. And there are quite a few great small streams to fish in the area. There are too many to name though. The best bet would be buy a quad map, and just picks some at random. And although there are some tribs of the upper clarks fork that are too polluted to fish. Most any tributary/small stream you pick will be good fishing.

The big rivers will be good too, if thats what you decide on doing though.
    Last edited by MTSkibum; 05-28-2008 at 03:42 AM.

Bring your terrestrials!

Mtnstream -

Have only fished occasionally in Montana so I can't give you a lot of help. Down here in Idaho, I consider August primetime for fishing small streams and small rivers. Missed it last year, because of the heat and drought, but this should be a good summer for both Idaho and Montana.

There is a really good website that you should check out - www.bigskyfishing.com. This is the best site I've found for fly fishing information for Montana and is an excellent place to start your planning.

If you plan to venture into SE Idaho while in the area, let me know and I'll point out some good water for you to try.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Mtnstream -

Have only fished occasionally in Montana so I can't give you a lot of help. Down here in Idaho, I consider August primetime for fishing small streams and small rivers. Missed it last year, because of the heat and drought, but this should be a good summer for both Idaho and Montana.

There is a really good website that you should check out - www.bigskyfishing.com. This is the best site I've found for fly fishing information for Montana and is an excellent place to start your planning.

If you plan to venture into SE Idaho while in the area, let me know and I'll point out some good water for you to try.

John
    I'll tell ya, Salmon Idaho area is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I didnt get to fish while I was there but did get to kayak some stuff and do some nice sightseeing. I didnt want to leave.

Thanks for all the info guys! I am hard at it, doing the research, etc. I will certainly bring the terrestrials, as well as some streamers and a nice selection of dries (and my fly tying kit!). I will have a few rods---a 3 weight, 5 weight and 6/7 with spools for each. I think that should pretty much cover it. I'm interested in the smaller cutt/bow streams as well as getting on some nice browns. So I'm thinking the Big Hole might be good to check out, Rock Creek, and I have heard some nice things about the Wise River, and if they all have smaller tribs, I'm not against going for a nice hike for some pretty fish, even if they are small. There is alot to work out, but we might just pick one nice area to camp at and stick to that area for the most part. We'd like to hit a couple rivers, but with about 7 days to fish it might be hard to effectively fish 4-5 different rivers, so we'll probably pick one or two to be based on.

Anyway I really do appreciate the info, and as I said if anyone is ever heading to WV/PA/MD, I'm a fly fishing guide in these parts and can turn ya on to some good water. Plenty of places to find trout like this beauty, which took a Hendrickson emerger about a week ago:

not bad for a camera phone pic eh.....

I don't fish Montana, but I do go to NW Wyoming. Last year we were up there the first week of August and fished nothing but small streams for brookies and cutts. The fishing was fantastic. The water was clear, the flows were fair, and the fish were biting.

One of the dilemas I can see right now choosing to either fish just in general SW MT, or spend a week in Yellowstone Park and just fish there. It seems to me there is amazing trout water all over the place and either option would be nice. I'm sure there are less crows outside of the park though. Any thoughts on which option might be better?

The more I read about Big Hole and Wise River, the more appealing it is. Also, Rock Creek catches my eye. Of course the famous Gallatin, Yellowstone and Madison Rivers would be nice, but I wont be upset to go somewhere less crowded that is also great fishing. When I hear folks here talk about MT, I always hear 'Madison' or 'Yellowstone'. Can one find at least a little seclusion on these rivers, or will it be like Penns Creek in PA during the Drake spinner fall?

mtnstream,
    Quote;I'll tell ya, Salmon Idaho area is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I didnt get to fish while I was there but did get to kayak some stuff and do some nice sightseeing. I didnt want to leave." End Quote.

The Middle Fork of the Salmon River is a dream come true.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

mtn

if you want solitude then don't do the 'park'. however, i went in october and i saw like 10 people there. can't help you on the other places as i have not fished them but everything i hear about the big hole is good. you may also want to consider the big horn area too.

+ Reply to Thread