Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
Mtnstream -

Have only fished occasionally in Montana so I can't give you a lot of help. Down here in Idaho, I consider August primetime for fishing small streams and small rivers. Missed it last year, because of the heat and drought, but this should be a good summer for both Idaho and Montana.

There is a really good website that you should check out - www.bigskyfishing.com. This is the best site I've found for fly fishing information for Montana and is an excellent place to start your planning.

If you plan to venture into SE Idaho while in the area, let me know and I'll point out some good water for you to try.

John
I'll tell ya, Salmon Idaho area is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I didnt get to fish while I was there but did get to kayak some stuff and do some nice sightseeing. I didnt want to leave.

Thanks for all the info guys! I am hard at it, doing the research, etc. I will certainly bring the terrestrials, as well as some streamers and a nice selection of dries (and my fly tying kit!). I will have a few rods---a 3 weight, 5 weight and 6/7 with spools for each. I think that should pretty much cover it. I'm interested in the smaller cutt/bow streams as well as getting on some nice browns. So I'm thinking the Big Hole might be good to check out, Rock Creek, and I have heard some nice things about the Wise River, and if they all have smaller tribs, I'm not against going for a nice hike for some pretty fish, even if they are small. There is alot to work out, but we might just pick one nice area to camp at and stick to that area for the most part. We'd like to hit a couple rivers, but with about 7 days to fish it might be hard to effectively fish 4-5 different rivers, so we'll probably pick one or two to be based on.

Anyway I really do appreciate the info, and as I said if anyone is ever heading to WV/PA/MD, I'm a fly fishing guide in these parts and can turn ya on to some good water. Plenty of places to find trout like this beauty, which took a Hendrickson emerger about a week ago:

not bad for a camera phone pic eh.....