A week or two back there was a thread about Fall River in No. CA. Seems there was some alarming news saying it was far below normal flows.... alarmingly low. No Worries, Boys,
that's my old stompin' grounds, and I never stay away for long......................

I was just there, in fact, we just a little while ago arrived home. My wife, son and I just spent the weekend in Cassel, CA, a little community right on Hat Creek there. My brother in law Jeff lives there, and he, I, and my son Justin fished all weekend on Hat Creek and Fall River, ran out of time before we got over to the Pit..... . Weather was kinda dicey, heavy overcast, rain and showers up till Monday afternoon when the sun came out a bit. We gave our fly rods a workout all around the area. We caught a few and had a very good time. Even went after some bluegills on a couple local farm ponds, they just attacked our yellow foam spiders. We seemed to have one in a fight nearly every cast. Lots of brush around there, and we left some fancy decorations or all to see what to fish with.
The best fishing was in Hat Creek in the first mile or so above the Cassel forebay. That is part of PG&E's Hydroelectric system in those parts. The trout there are rainbows, running about 14 to 18 " We did best with caddis and PMDs, the fish there get a lot of pressure, and we had to work for 'em, but had a very good time. Dozens of muskrats workin' the area, and hundreds of various swamp birds singin' to us all the while. The baitslingers were really haulin' 'em in with worms they float just off the bottom by injectin' 'em with air. They had fun, but we had more..haha!
Fall River is right up to normal levels, and the fish there have seen lots of fishermen, PMDs and tricos, and Bob Quigley's cripples in size 20 and 22 are standard fare there, and you gotta be on your game to land what you hook on barbless 22's. We didn't have much time on Fall River, as we were runnin out of light when we got there. We figure to spend more time there when we go back next month, and maybe bring some of them 20" 'bows to hand. The best news is the locals say Fall River hasn't been low for even a
day..........
The Pit is always one of our favorites there, and next month we figure it to be our first stop.
Always exciting to give a good report, only trouble is it wasn't a five day weekend
................................Happy Fishin' Y'all !!!..................ModocDan