+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting. Important?

Default Casting. Important?

Gentlemen:
    This is a RHETORICAL QUESTION.Concerning the current availability of this device, just how good of a caster must one be to get a fly out to a car tire size spot 40 feet away? Is there anyone on this forum that can't do that?? I'm curious as to what weight (percent of total effort) the members here put on casting (other than spey and surf casting).In my own personal experience, I don't even think I'm aware of an "effort". My distances seldom exceed 40' but I probably can throw it 70' . Just how much better need or can I get at that distance. I have never had a lesson. Should I?? What should be my expectations? When someone on this board states that they're not a good caster what does that mean. What is a good caster?? Am I a "good" caster??
    Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[This message has been edited by Marco (edited 05 September 2005).]

I think casting, in practical application (fishing), is a continual desire for improvement. Mostly because of elements not in our control, such as wind and stuff.
    However much of the desire to improve may be caused by our own laziness. I know mine is. If I weren't so lazy, I could take a few steps and not have to try to toss further than I could possibly set the hook in that LM anyway. Of course the wind will probably blow us off target if we can reach'im, so.......?
    And if we could just toss a wee bit further, we could get a couple more strips or reach that other seam while "blind" fishing for stripers.
    "Good" may be someone else's opinion. "GOOD enough" may be our own opinion......and the IMPORTANT opinion.
    .....lee s.

Hitting that target is just the beginning. One should be able to hit that car tire or dinner plate sized circle with a left and right reach, a left and right curve, varying amounts of slack in the leader, etc. I surely can't say that I can do that all the time but it's what I practice.

Bob

------------------
    "Man has an inexhaustible ability to beshit his environment, with politicians well in the lead"...Jim Harrison

Hey JC;
    I thought you and the lovely and talented mate was "away". Was compozin a sure to be " tread closer" but now I guess I gotta wait.

Depends on the type water and fish that one most commonly subscribes too. On technical rivers with very spooky trout: The many different types of casts and their accuracy are not important; "they and it are crucial!"

------------------
    Best Regards

"I'm the best flycaster that ever took up a stick and string!"
    (*choke* - *sputter* - *cough*) I've never heard it and I'll surely never say it. I'm fairly good at hitting where I aim to, but add some wind, waves, & woods and all that changes. I think that's why casting can be competitive - there are going to be many variables besides the size of the spot your trying to hit.
    It could be fun to do this at the next pic-nic or bar-b-que with the family. Not so much to show how 'good' we are, but how fun it is!

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 05 September 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Marco - I started flyfishing in 1968, which is getting to be a long time ago. At the time, I did not know any other flyfishers and there were not any flyshops near me. I bought my first outfit from an Army and Navy store. They also sold me a 50 cent pamphlet from Sci Anglers on how to cast. That's how I learned, in my backyard, pamphlet in one hand, rod in the other. I didn't know diddley, but I loved it. I learned where the fish lived in the stream. Some kind person sold me a copy of Art Flick's streamside guide, and I learned about fly selection. Casting? I learned to put the fly wherever I wanted. Was I a good caster? No way. I just got really good at doing it wrong.
    That lasted about 10 years, when several things happened to make me realize that there was something more to casting, and that I was going to hurt myself if I did not learn it. The basic impetus was taking up saltwater fishing, where long casts with heavy rods is the order of the day.
    So I did some reading, took some seminars with experts, and managed to transform myself from a hacker to a reasonable caster. Eventually, I started teaching.
    Fly casting is easy, but it is not intuitive. Most people listen to the instructions, and then do it wrong. That's the bad news. The good news is that virtually everyone can be coached into doing it right very quickly.
    The basic advantages of doing it right are an extreme decrease in the amount of effort needed to make a given cast, and an increase in accuracy. The ability to fish in foul conditions is also greatly augmented.
    Marco, I would never comment on your casting abilities without watching you cast, but anyone who is self taught would likely benefit from competent instruction. I certainly did.
    Castwell - I watched with some sympathy a couple weeks ago, when on similar thread to almost gave yourself apoplexy trying to convince people that the key to good casting is STOP THE ROD! Enviable restraint on your part this time

Marco,

I guess you're right, ... the 40 ft cast is pretty straight forward.

It's when the forty feet is straight into a stiff breeze (wind) and your throwing a #6 Brown Bird that a nice tight loop and a tad of a single haul helps.

That's why I practice sooo much. Easy days, ... for the hard ones

That way, .. even when it's a bit complicated, ... I'm still having FUN!

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:b76f6]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:b76f6]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 05 September 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

There are a couple of things which fly casting should be. Effective and fun.

Unfortunately for many it isn't either and the frustration level makes the whole experience considerably less than it can be.

Casting should be totally automatic. Put the cast where it needs to be - regardless of position, wind, overhead trees, brush and so on. If you can't do that, you need to work on your casting.

The only way to do that is by practice - and by practicing the right things. Once it is
    "in there" it will become automatic - effective and fun!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

LF, ... nicely said.

I've been waving a stick around for close to (wheez) 30-35 years now.

I "feel" that I'm doing things automatically. I look at the lie and the fly goes there. The drift is like I want it and the line just mends sort of by itself.

That said, ... I'm down right scared to try out the Sage thingy. ... I KNOW I'm not an elegant caster (and more than a few very accomplished intsructors and anglers have told me so).

Sort of like Downhill racing, ... I'm afraid that if I start thinking about the techniques, ... I'll CRASH!

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:3819f]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:3819f]
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread