+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand tied furled leaders

Hybrid View

1. Default Hand tied furled leaders

Are there any ways to do a furled leader with Uni-thread without using a board? I saw one guy who did them by hand, but made them out of mono. I am thinking the board will be easy once I have done a few, but always looking to simplify it...and what colors do you think are the most stealthy?? thanks in advance.

WOW, I would love to see that. I have seen Bimini's made by hand, but how the heck would you do a tapered furled leader with out some kind of staggard pegs? If I tried without a board, It could be a mess.
    Plus, what did he use for a center point? You do have to have a center point and two ends, right? I mean the two individual twisted the same direction, then both twisting the opposite together.

You are talking TAPERED aren't you? I read where there was something about making these in sections and then combining them.

Ah, heck, I hinged my board and made it very mobile, I will stick with it, or the big Tinker Toys
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 05-23-2008 at 07:48 PM.

3. Default Now that you mention it,,,

He did do it in sections,, which I think would work fine for monofilament, but not so much for Uni-thread...I have my directions I'll be working on a good old peg board this weekend,, seems like the best way to make them...what about the stealthy colors any reccomendations?? thanks.

I get my rings and thread from J. Stockard. I like to combine olive/brown UNI 6 for a camo effect. But you can use coats and clarks .005 Nylon for the mono look. I also use Lt Cahill, and dunns.

I saw a picture of a 'travel' jig that used velcro strips and wood pegs. The set up was designed for use on a carpeted floor, the velcro was suck into the carpet at the appropriate locations.

My jig is an 8' length of 1X6 pine with 3/4" dowels. I drilled several hole patterns for various lengths. I then took different colored magic markers and marked the correct holes and recipe for each leader right on the board.

I can set the jig on my kitchen table and not have to bend over. Using a large diameter dowel makes it easier to pass a whole thread spool through the loops.

I use meduim dun color for my leaders, trying to match the color of an overcast sky.

I saw somewhere someone putting his pegs on his deck railing.....talk about length

7. Default Leader swap??

Just a thought,,,,,what do you think???

I'm up for a leader swap...just a suggestion...how about starting another thread for the swap. Some of the members that might be interested may not read this thread.

Brad

I prefer the UNI thread over all the other materials I have tried. It may seem soft in your hand but it casts like a dream...

I think it makes a difference on how many wraps you do.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but Kathy's are very light. I think she meant them to be. For small streams and light presentation. Great on a 2 to 4 wt.
    I have a 5 1/2' that is more thread and perfect for 4 to 6 wt. maybe even more. They are soft and no memory, that is the idea.
    I made some out of 2 lb mono (because that is as heavy as I will go considering there will be several wraps) and they are thick!
    I like the 2x7 on the first section and a three peg per side taper instead of the two peg. I do still make Kathy's cause they are perfect for the rivers here, but the three part are perfect every where else.
    Coats and Clarks has NYLON in .005 that is awesome. Comes in clear or smoked. I have a new source that is the best of the best, but I do not want to post this source as I don't know how long it will last. GREEDY!

+ Reply to Thread