+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pohopoco Creek?

Hybrid View

HI TOM ; FISHED THE POHOPOCO FRI, MORNING THE 23rd. SMALL PMD'S 22-24'S AND OLIVE CADDIES 16 'S HATCHING. NOTHING RISING; I USED A BEADHEAD OLIVE PHEASANT TAIL NYMPH AND CAUGHT A FEW TROUT . MISSED 6 ON A SIZE 20 OLIVE SCUD?? GOOD LUCK.

>)))):>

Default Thanks Doomer

Thanks for the tips.......I was there this AM 8am....waded....cold....noting that was rising.....like I said new to the fly fishing so I dont expect much when I go out right now...lol.....got to wade for the first time....just trying things out .....thanks again!

Tom

Hatches Start 0900 -0930, Last Until 1100 And Just Before Dark In The Evening.

>)))):>

Yellow Sallys right at dusk can get the fish looking up. Not a heavy "hatch", but enough of the egg laying adults to make it fun. The bats usually put an end to my fishing up there - they can get intense! They'll pick a parachute sulphur right off the water. Don't want to hurt the little guys, so I just pack it in for the night. The last thing you want is a hooked bat in your net (don't ask me how I know this).

Here's a great pattern for a Yellow Sally (little yellow stonefly) on the Po:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...m?parentID=111

The old timers call the Pohopoco "Big Creek". A friend of mine had a cabin streamside before the lake was built, but it is now at the bottom of the lake. IMHO, this stream could benefit greatly from C&R regs - the "meat hunters" pummel it pretty hard.

Platz's Restaurant is a great place for a burger and a beer at the end of the day.....

Default Good info

Great info!!...Bats!!...hahahahah now that would be interesting!!...Thanks for the info guys and the link to the fly. Have to try tying that one.

Question Question

When I got to the creek yesterday morn around 8:30 or so I seen light colored tan small fllies all over the surface. What type might these have been?

Probably midges. If they were dancing around just above the surface, that's my guess. If the fish are feeding on them, you might try a zebra midge dropper off of a larger dry, like a caddis. Stealth is a good thing on the Po - those fish do get spooky. A San Juan worm works well there, but I almost never fish the bottom there. There's always a few kamikazies that'll hammer a dry fly even if there isn't a lot of bugs on the water. My typical searching pattern is a size 16 cdc/elk caddis dry. Most of my time there is spent in the evenings, except when the big olives hatch (Cornutas). Sulphur duns also come off pretty heavily in the mornings at times, which isn't the norm elsewhere. Because the water is so cold, there are sulphurs there sometimes into September!

+ Reply to Thread