+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ausable River May 18-21

Hybrid View

Default Ausable River May 18-21

Spent three days on the Ausable system. Fished the North Branch & the Mainstream " Holy Waters". Conditions weren't the best especially Sunday which had a combination of high winds, rain & a little snow-thats right snow! I managed to pound up some fish on the Mainstream using streamers and wetflies. I caught a nice 13" brownie along with some small brookies & browns. Monday & Tuesday the weather improved and so did the fishing. On the North Branch Monday brookies were feeding on Caddis in various areas. A #14 or 16 tan Caddis skittered on top worked best. Though I didn't catch anything larger than 8" there was enough action to keep me satisfied. Tuesday I was on the mainstream again. Caddis were out again and a well placed Elkhair caddis skittered or twitched on top brought strikes. Some brookies up to 10" were caught. I had hoped to see some residual Hendricksons or early Sulphers but none were about. Warmer temps forecast for the Memorial Weekend could bring out the sulphers. If you're going tight lines & good luck.

I was on the mainstream at the lower tu and guides rest saturday and sunday morning---got about the same as you. I saw a few splashy rises at the whirlpool around 2:30---got a few on beadhead nymphs---i had a "pull the tip down" hit at Black Bend on a clouser but never got him out again. It was nice to be out saturday---sunday was pretty nasty.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Aw heck, it's just nice to read the reports guys. Thanks, and keep a good eye on the river for us all.

+ Reply to Thread