+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Info on Fenwick HMG GFL 75-4 blank?

Hybrid View

Default Info on Fenwick HMG GFL 75-4 blank?

I was given some rod blanks this past weekend, and one has markings indicating that it is a Fenwick HMG GFL 75-4. I've determined only that this means it is a graphite fly rod blank, 75 inches long, 4weight. I'm curious about the ferrule on this rod, which appears to be a thicker area of graphite at the base of the tip section. This thicker part is a few inches long, and ends in a sharp, angular taper, which is something I've never seen before.

Can anyone tell me more about this blank, possibly how old it may be, and critically, how do I do the wraps on the ferrule?

I'm really looking forward to building this rod for some small stream fishing.

2. Default

Fenwick stopped selling blanks back in the real early 90's if I remember right. The HMG fly rods were some of the very first graphite rods made. I'd make my ferrule wrap at least 2 times the OD of the ferrule's end and place it as close to the edge as you think you can get it.I can get mine pretty close to a mm from the edge by packing the thread with my right thumb as I keep the thread from going over the edge with my left thumb and thumbnail plugging the ferrule's hole.

It is possible this is one of the very early Fenwicks before the tip-over-butt ferrules were developed.

The early ferrules were a larger piece of graphite that was slipped over the bottom of the tip section and glued in place. The top section of this piece of graphite was sloped down to the tip section to create a good transition between ferrule and tip section.

If this is one of those ferrules I would recommend wrapping the sloped section from ferrule to tip section.

I hope that makes sense. It is hard to describe without pictures. I have not seen one of those ferrules since the early 80's.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Thanks Spoonplugger and Panfisher. That helps me narrow down the age a bit, and Panfisher, that is exactly how it appears the ferrule is constructed. If I understand correctly, my wraps on the ferrule should be 2x the outside diameter at the female end of the ferrule, and there should be another wrap that the forward tapered end of the ferrule. I'm assuming there is no need to wrap the middle portion of the ferrule. The whole ferrule is a bit bulky looking to start with, so I'll probably do those wraps in a charcoal color to match the blank and do my guide wraps in something brighter, probably a red or kelly green.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla 1 View Post
    Thanks Spoonplugger and Panfisher. That helps me narrow down the age a bit, and Panfisher, that is exactly how it appears the ferrule is constructed. If I understand correctly, my wraps on the ferrule should be 2x the outside diameter at the female end of the ferrule, and there should be another wrap that the forward tapered end of the ferrule. I'm assuming there is no need to wrap the middle portion of the ferrule. The whole ferrule is a bit bulky looking to start with, so I'll probably do those wraps in a charcoal color to match the blank and do my guide wraps in something brighter, probably a red or kelly green.

That sounds about right, I used to place a guide right on the ferrule so the ferrule butt section wrap also wrapped one leg of the guide. I'd wrap the other leg and then I would wrap from the tip section up the slope to where the slope leveled out. That guide did sit just a little higher than the other guides but it did not seem to affect the performance at all.

The other choice is as you said - wrap both ends of the ferrule leaving the center unwrapped. Either method should work well. What is required is that both ends of the ferrule get wrapped and then epoxy to strengthen the connection of the ferrule to the blank under the stress of casting and catching.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Well, I fished this rod over Fathers Day weekend, and it is a real kick with a fish on. I caught a mess of panfish, including a decent perch, and all of them put a good bend in the rod. She's really whippy...far slower than I am used to...and at first I decided it needed to be under-lined down to a 3wt. As the weekend progressed, I started to get into the slower, gentler cast that it demands. If I push it at all it really punishes me. Now I believe I'll give it a few more tries before I take it down a weight, because when I got it right, the cast was just beautiful...gentle as a feather dropping to the water.

Thanks again for the information on this.

+ Reply to Thread