+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Albright knot as flyline to leader connection

Default Albright knot as flyline to leader connection

The Albright is typically described in the following way: "Use to attach backing to fly line or to join sections of monofilament that vary greatly in diameter (e.g.: tying an 80-lb. shock tippet to a 15-lb. class tippet when saltwater fishing)."

It's a quick, easy to tie knot, so I'm wondering why it can't be used for flyline to leader connection.

Knot gurus (of which I am not), opinions please.

Try it once and let us all know how you like it.

I think some research will come up with some simpler knots to get the job done, but good luck with it.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

I have used the Albright knot for years to attach all of my leaders, especially for salmon fishing. Never had one break yet but it is a little bulkier than nail knots or JC's Castwell knot. I do 14 turns on my Albright knot so I don't think it is all that easy to tie the way I learned. I just recently used the Castwell knot on my 4 weight and that is EASY to tie and very small. I need to try it on steelhead to see how it holds on larger fish. I have also used the super glue splice on my five weight for a while until the line wore out and it went through the guides great, but when I replaced the line I went back to the Albright because for whatever reason, I couldn't expose enough of the braid to get a good hold on the super glue splice. I have also tried various versions of the nail knot but they all stripped the flyline coating eventually. I tried the Castwell knot on my intermediate clear line but I couldn't get it to bite into the leader loop and hold because of the hard coating on the flyline.

Glenn

Speed nail knot: http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/jb4knots/

This is my knot of choice for leader to fly line. I do use the Albright from backing to fly line, but it is too bulky for line to leader for my tastes. Maybe with an 8 wt rod, but I wouldn't choose it for my 4 wts.

Here is a good reference section on fly line to leader knots: http://marinews.com/fly_fishing/fly_line_to_leader.html

Any links on the Castwell knot?

Rick
    Last edited by Clay; 05-21-2008 at 02:36 AM.

Clay,
    You don't need a link to the Castwell knot. It is on here. Go to the home page. Click on Features on the left. Scroll down to and click on knots.

Gemrod
    I use furled leaders.....and the Castwell knot to attach them to fly line.

What Gem said....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...s/castwell.php

"but it is too bulky for line to leader for my tastes. Maybe with an 8 wt rod, but I wouldn't choose it for my 4 wts. ".....I agree.... too bulky for me too ....but wouldn't the bulk be relatively the same no matter what weight line....each wt. line is bigger isn't it??????

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    What Gem said....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...s/castwell.php

"but it is too bulky for line to leader for my tastes. Maybe with an 8 wt rod, but I wouldn't choose it for my 4 wts. ".....I agree.... too bulky for me too ....but wouldn't the bulk be relatively the same no matter what weight line....each wt. line is bigger isn't it??????

The guides on my 8 wt are larger than the guides on my 4 wt. They allow a bigger knot to pass through them.

Showing my ignorance here....not being a rod maker....but don't the guides change in size depending on what weight rod ????

I can't imagine a 3 wt rod would have the same size guides as an 8 wt.

And a 3wt line is thinner than an 8 wt....that I know..............

Glenn, I use the knot on all line weights, from 3wt's to 8wt's. So far never have had one open or break. Big salmon, Jack Cravell, bonefish and very large barracuda.

+ Reply to Thread