About a dozen years ago I decided that the fly rod would be the only way I fished, be it for largemouth, stripers, weakfish, redfish, and of course, cold water trout. Have caught large specimens of each of these species as well as Robalo, Toro and Pargo on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. Bought into the thinking that big fish of all species require big flies to take.

Long story short: Obtained skill beyong the "duck and chuck," but wore myself out every trip, except on the cold water trout and did so with them when I resorted to Volkswagen-sized streamers better suited to the salt.

Casting a fly line provides 50% of the pleasure I get on the water. I prefer it above spin cast and bait cast tackle, BUT I've concluded that the enjoyment is greatest casting a 3 up to 5 wt. rod with a dry fly never larger than #12, and infrequently a dry with a nymph dropper.

I didnt use my 8 wt. rod at all last year and the 6 wt. only once and didn't miss them.

Anybody else reached the conclusion that fishing "flies" that represent "flies" (and not baitfish, crayfish, crabs, giant squid, shrimp, etc.) is the way to go?