+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Somebody here posted about a NuCanoe

Hybrid View

Default Somebody here posted about a NuCanoe

Dear Board,

I'm pretty sure I read a post or two here a month back where somebody was talking about having just picking up a NuCanoe?

If I'm right I hope they can post back with a more detailed review. I'm considering one but I have no dealers anywhere closer than about 4 1/2 or 5 hours away and I don't want to waste a whole day and the accompanying gasoline to drive and look at something I don't want.

Regards,
    Avalon
    Last edited by Avalon; 05-19-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling

That was my post and I have purchased the 10' model NuCanoe and I can honestly say that it is a wonderful craft for my style of fly fishing! Their web site is, www.nucanoe.com and JC stated they are going to be a sponsor for FAOL.

I do not know for sure what you are looking for in a water craft or what you want it to do for you, so, all I can do is report what I now know about them from my experience with mine.

Here is what I was looking for:

I wanted a boat that was not too heavy for one person to handle with loading and unloading and the NuCanoe in the 10' model weighs 65 pounds and I think their 12' model weighs 85 pounds. I chose the 10' model because most of the times I am by myself. The 10' model will handle 2 people but the 12' model would give you more room for two to use fly rods if you were fishing from the boat.

I wanted a boat that would be easy to paddle up stream against the current. I have used canoes, but, for me, I find them a lot of work to paddle up stream. The NuCanoe glides upstream with no problem and very little work using a double paddle. It is 42" across the center at the top but there is only about 30 to 33" at the water line which makes it paddle very much like a kayak which paddle very easily. The NuCanoe responds very quickly to a paddle and will turn around on a dime. It floats high on the water which is why it paddles easily.

I can swim but I do not swim for pleasure, so, I wanted a boat that was very stable and the NuCanoe is very stable. It would take a lot of effort to get it to turn over which I really like. I can relax in it and not be doing the balancing act all the time. It is rock solid stable. It has a 13" wide trough down the center which allows you to sit with your knees bent instead of your legs straight out in front of you like a kayak and I like that feature since I am 60 and bent knees feels better for me than legs straight out in front of me.

I purchased the 10' model which comes with one seat. The seat can be moved to several locations and fastened down very quickly with 2 locking screw-in knobs. I can fasten my seat down towards the center for soloing or move it back if someone goes with me. I did purchase another seat in case my wife or someone else goes with me. I also purchased their anchor system and installed it plus I purchased their double paddle and paddle holder and installed the holder in my boat. I would recommend the paddle holder because it makes it easy to store while you are fishing plus keeps it from falling in the river.

They show on their web site that you can stand in it and I know that you can, but, I did not purchase it to stand and fish out of which would take some practice but I know it can be done. I prefer to just sit in it and fish. It has plenty of room for my cooler for my sweet tea and sandwich.

I use mine mainly for going upstream 4 or 5 miles and then float fishing my way back to my truck. I also use it on a small lake here for bluegill/bass fishing. It slides easily into the back of my Ford Ranger and can be put in anywhere.

So, it loads and unloads easily for me. It fits my Ranger with no problems. It is very easy to paddle using a double paddle and I can paddle it all day going upstream and not get tired out. It is very responsive to a paddle and I am thinking strongly on getting a sculling paddle for it to use while floating down stream and fishing. It paddles so easily that I will not have to have a battery and electic trolling motor with me which means I do not have to get it registered and not have to haul around all that extra weight.

Overall, I really like my 10' NuCanoe because it is everything I was looking for. Yes, it could use maybe some extra room inside but, I can get along just fine with what it has to offer. There is a rumor that NuCanoe may be coming out with a fold away leaning bar for it while standing and if they do come out with that option, I will probably look at it very seriously and then maybe I will stand in my NuCanoe and fish. The leaning bar is what this 60 year old needs to assist with the balancing while standing. Until then, I am content with sitting in it and fishing from it.

There is no way I will tell you to get one because I do not know what you are wanting your boat to do. I can only hope the above plus their web site helps with your decision. I can tell you that I really like mine.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 05-19-2008 at 02:23 AM. Reason: corrected spelling error
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Here's Warren in his Nu Canoe.

Dear Warren,

Yes, you were the person I was thinking about.

Thanks for taking the time to post the comprehensive review. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a dealer that is closer to me than South Jersey for that is a 4 1/2 hour drive. I'd really like to try something out before I buy it, and I think just because of my size I'll fit better in the 12 foot version but I do think it's something I'm going to look hard at when the time comes.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Warren,

That is one classy looking rig. Just what UI need to go along with my pontoon boat and float tube.

REE

Thanks..

The more I use it, the more I like it. I told Jack, when I saw the picture, that it looked like a dugout on the Amazon River!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread